Long-run stock price-house price relation: evidence from an ESTR model
The direction of any long-run relationship between stock prices and house prices provides useful information for policy makers and practitioners regarding the presence of wealth and credit effects. Using quarterly data from the UK and US this paper reports evidence of non-linear dynamics in the adjustment to equilibrium. Specifically, the equilibrium-deviation must become large before stock prices revert. However, there is no evidence that house price adjust to any disequilbrium. This supports a credit effect on stock prices.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guidolin, Massimo & Hyde, Stuart & McMillan, David & Ono, Sadayuki, 2009.
"Non-linear predictability in stock and bond returns: When and where is it exploitable?,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 373-399.
- Massimo Guidolin & Stuart Hyde & David McMillan & Sadayuki Ono, 2009. "Non-linear predictability in stock and bond returns: when and where is it exploitable?," Working Papers 2008-010, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Jan Kakes & Jan Willem Van Den End, 2004. "Do stock prices affect house prices? Evidence for the Netherlands," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(12), pages 741-744.
- Jan Willem van den End & Jan Kakes, 2002. "De samenhang tussen beurskoersen en huizenprijzen," MEB Series (discontinued) 2002-17, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Elaine Worzala & Kerry D. Vandell, 1995. "International Direct Real Estate Investments as Alternative Portfolio Assets for Institutional Investors: An evaluation," ERES eres1995_185, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2006. "Testing For Cointegration In Nonlinear Smooth Transition Error Correction Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 279-303, April.
- Stuart Sayer, 2009. "Issues In Finance: Credit, Crises And Policies - An Overview," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(5), pages 795-797, December.
- Peter Abelson & Roselyne Joyeux & George Milunovich & Demi Chung, 2005. "Explaining House Prices in Australia: 1970-2003," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(s1), pages 96-103, 08. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)