How Fast Wages Adjust to Prices: A Multi Country Analysis
The adjustment of nominal wages to inflation has implications on the labor market as well as on other areas in economics. In this paper, we employ the Blanchard and Katz (1997, 1999) model of nominal wage determination and try to estimate the adjustment speed. By using the bounds testing approach for cointegration and error-correction modeling we distinguish the short run from the long run. The model is estimated for 29 countries using annual data over the period 1975-2006. We find that inflation, unemployment rate, and labor productivity all have short-run and long-run effects for the majority of the countries. However, nominal wages adjust to inflation fully in 11 of the 29 counties.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler & J. David López-Salido, 2000.
"European Inflation Dynamics,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
0020, Banco de Espa�a.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler & J. David Lopez-Salido, 2001. "European Inflation Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 8218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark & López-Salido, J David, 2001. "European Inflation Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 2684, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Galí, Jordi, 2010.
"The Return of the Wage Phillips Curve,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7700, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jordi Galí, 2010. "The Return of the Wage Phillips Curve," NBER Working Papers 15758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordi Galí, 2009. "The return of the wage Phillips curve," Economics Working Papers 1199, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 2010.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1994. "Estimating a Wage Curve for Britain 1973-1990," NBER Working Papers 4770, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Claire Economidou & Gour Gobinda Goswami, 2005. "How sensitive are Britain's inpayments and outpayments to the value of the British pound," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(5), pages 455-467, October.
- Koi Nyen Wong & Tuck Cheong Tang, 2008. "The effects of exchange rate variability on Malaysia's disaggregated electrical exports," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(2), pages 154-169, May.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1994. "Estimating a Wage Curve for Britain: 1973-90," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1025-43, September.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2007. "The J-curve dynamics of Turkish bilateral trade: a cointegration approach," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 103-119, May.
- PLASMANS, Joseph & MEERSMAN, Hilde & VAN POECK, André & MERLEVEDE, Bruno, 2002. "The unemployment benefit system and wage flexibility in EMU: time-varying evidence in five countries," Working Papers 2002020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.