How responsive are Indonesia's bilateral inpayments and outpayments to real depreciation of Rupiah?
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to investigate the sensitivity of Indonesia's inpayments and outpayments to currency depreciation on a bilateral basis. Design/methodology/approach - The methodology used is based on the bounds testing approach. Findings - It is found that while real depreciation of Rupiah has short-run effects in a majority of the cases, these effects last into the long-term in almost 50 percent of the cases. Surprisingly, almost all of the affected partners in the long run are found to be the Asian countries. Originality/value - The paper is very original in that no one has looked at this issue before.
Volume (Year): 29 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=sef Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tuck Cheong Tang, 2007. "Money demand function for Southeast Asian countries: An empirical view from expenditure components," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(6), pages 476-496, November.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Tankui, Altin, 2008. "The black market exchange rate vs. the official rate in testing PPP: Which rate fosters the adjustment process?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 40-43, April.
- Lal, Anil K. & Lowinger, Thomas C., 2002. "The J-Curve: Evidence from East Asia," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 397-415.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Janardhanan Alse, 1994. "Short-Run versus Long-Run Effects of Devaluation: Error-Correction Modeling and Cointegration," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 453-464, Fall.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee, 2007. "Exchange rate volatility and trade flows: a review article," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 211-255, October.
- Houthakker, Hendrik S & Magee, Stephen P, 1969. "Income and Price Elasticities in World Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 111-25, May.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Claire Economidou & Gour Gobinda Goswami, 2005. "How sensitive are Britain's inpayments and outpayments to the value of the British pound," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(5), pages 455-467, October.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1985. "Devaluation and the J-Curve: Some Evidence from LDCs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 500-504, August.
- James E. Payne, 2008. "Inflation and inflation uncertainty: evidence from the Caribbean region," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(6), pages 501-511, December.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Scott W. Hegerty, 2010. "The J- and S-curves: a survey of the recent literature," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 580-596, September.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2007. "Export-led growth hypothesis: evidence from Papua New Guinea and Fiji," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 341-351, November.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2007. "The J-curve dynamics of Turkish bilateral trade: a cointegration approach," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 103-119, July.
- Hassan Mohammadi, 2008. "Wagner's hypothesis," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(1), pages 94-106, March.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1986. "Determinants of international trade flows : The Case of Developing Countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 107-123.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2003:i:18:p:1-13 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:sefpps:v:29:y:2012:i:2:p:133-143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.