The Stackelberg equilibrium as a consistent conjectural equilibrium
We consider a static game with conjectural variations where some firms make conjectures while others do not. Two propositions are proved. We first show that there exists a continuum of conjectural variations such that the conjectural equilibrium locally coincides with the Stackelberg equilibrium (Proposition 1). Second, we define the conditions under which a conjectural equilibrium is a locally consistent equilibrium (i.e. such that conjectures are fulfilled). The concept of (local) consistency is restricted to firms making conjectures. Two conditions on consistency are featured: consistency within a cohort and consistency among cohorts. The Stackelberg equilibrium fulfills only the latter condition (Proposition 2). An example is provided.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bresnahan, Timothy F, 1981. "Duopoly Models with Consistent Conjectures," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 934-45, December.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, S., 1998.
"Endogenous Stackelberg leadership,"
Other publications TiSEM
fc1a6ca3-d618-4bc5-a115-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1999. "Endogenous Stackelberg leadership," Other publications TiSEM 83a05fd8-4285-48f3-84ef-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg Leadership," Discussion Paper 1996-115, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Eric van Damme & Sjaak Hurkens, 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg leadership," Economics Working Papers 190, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-154410 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ulph, David, 1983. "Rational conjectures in the theory of oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 131-154, June.
- Martin K. Perry, 1982. "Oligopoly and Consistent Conjectural Variations," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(1), pages 197-205, Spring.
- Morton I. Kamien & Nancy L. Schwartz, 1983. "Conjectural Variations," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(2), pages 191-211, May.
- Figuieres, Charles & Tidball, Mabel & Jean-Marie, Alain, 2004.
"On the effects of conjectures in a symmetric strategic setting,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 75-102, March.
- FIGUIÈRES, Charles & TIDBALL, Mabel & JEAN-MARIE, Alain, . "On the effects of conjectures in a symmetric strategic setting," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1687, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- FIGUIERES, Charles & TIDBALL, Mabel & JEAN-MARIE, Alain, 2001. "On the effects of conjectures in a symmetric strategic setting," CORE Discussion Papers 2001038, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Friedman, James W. & Mezzetti, Claudio, 2002. "Bounded rationality, dynamic oligopoly, and conjectural variations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 287-306, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-10-00656. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.