A decomposition of the home-market effect
Although the home-market effect has become one of the most important concepts in both trade theory and the new economic geography, it lacks a compelling graphical representation. The purpose of this note is to offer such a representation. We will decompose the home-market effect into two steps: a short-run response to population shift, creating entry-stimulating excess profits (in the short run) for firms of the country that experiences a population gain, and a further round of entries into the monopolistic sector of the expanding country induced by exits in the foreign industry.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Peter Neary, 2009.
"Putting the "New" into New Trade Theory: Paul Krugman's Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 111(2), pages 217-250, 06.
- Neary, J Peter, 2009. "Putting the "New" into New Trade Theory: Paul Krugman's Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics," CEPR Discussion Papers 7231, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peter Neary, 2009. "Putting the "New" into New Trade Theory: Paul Krugman's Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics," Economics Series Working Papers 423, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Robert J. Barro, 2002. "Currency Unions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(2), pages 409-436.
- Alberto Alesina & Robert J. Barro, 2000. "Currency Unions," NBER Working Papers 7927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert & Alesina, Alberto, 2002. "Currency Unions," Scholarly Articles 4551795, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-959, December.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-10-00302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.