The Long-Run of Purchasing Power Parity: The Case of Japan
This paper examines the validity of both the short-run and long-run purchasing power parity (PPP) hypotheses in the case of the Yen-Dollar exchange rate using two estimation methods, namely, a unit root test and an Autoregressive Distributed Lag (ARDL) cointegration test. Some important findings are obtained from our analysis. The first test reveals the mean reversion of real exchange rate (RER) in the long-run. From the second test, we found that there is a strongly robust long-run PPP relationship but only weakly significant short-run PPP relationship. Furthermore, unlike the previous literature, we use CUSUM and CUSUMSQ stability tests and rolling estimations to deal with the problems of structural breaks and power of the test respectively. Overall, the results suggest that PPP hypothesis in the case of Yen-Dollar exchange rate strongly holds in the long-run but weakly in the short-run. Finally, our results suggest that a minimum of 30 years of sample be a benchmark required for long-run PPP to hold for the case of Japan.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adler, Michael & Lehmann, Bruce, 1983. " Deviations from Purchasing Power Parity in the Long Run," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1471-87, December.
- Taylor, Alan M. & Taylor, Mark P, 2004.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Debate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 1997.
"The Behaviour of Real Exchange Rates During the Post-Bretton Woods Period,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Sarno, Lucio, 1998. "The behavior of real exchange rates during the post-Bretton Woods period," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-312, December.
- Layton, Allan P. & Stark, Jonathan P., 1990. "Co-integration as an empirical test of purchasing power parity," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 125-136.
- Long, Dara & Samreth, Sovannroeun, 2008.
"The Monetary Model of Exchange Rate: Evidence from the Philippines Using ARDL Approach,"
9822, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sovannroeun SAMRETH & Dara LONG, 2008. "The Monetary Model of Exchange Rate: Evidence from the Philippines Using ARDL Approach," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(31), pages 1-13.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2913, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lucio Sarno & Mark P. Taylor, 2002. "Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(1), pages 5.
- Claude Lopez & Christian J. Murray & David H. Papell, 2004.
"State of the Art Unit Root Tests and Purchasing Power Parity,"
University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series
2004-04, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Lopez, Claude & Murray, Christian J & Papell, David H, 2005. "State of the Art Unit Root Tests and Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(2), pages 361-69, April.
- Claude Lopez & Christian J. Murray & David H. Papell, 2003. "State of the Art Unit Root Tests and the PPP Puzzle," Macroeconomics 0310009, EconWPA.
- Mark, Nelson C., 1990. "Real and nominal exchange rates in the long run: An empirical investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 115-136, February.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Taufiq Choudhry, 2005. "Asian Currency Crisis and the Generalized PPP: Evidence from the Far East," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 137-157, 06.
- Mark P. Taylor, 2003. "Purchasing Power Parity," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 436-452, 08.
- Mark Taylor, 2006. "Real exchange rates and Purchasing Power Parity: mean-reversion in economic thought," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 1-17.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:31:p:1-13 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.