Least squares estimation of joint production functions by the differential evolution method of global optimization
Most of the studies relating to estimation of joint production functions have noted two difficulties: first that allocation of inputs to different outputs is not known, and the second that a method of estimation cannot have more than one dependent variable, which necessitates construction of a composite output transformation function. This study has conducted some simulation experiments on joint estimation of the CES, the Transcendental and the Nerlove-Ringstad functions. Allocation parameters of inputs across the products have been introduced. Estimation has been done jointly, but without constructing a composite macro production function or an output transformation function. We use nonlinear least squares based on the Differential Evolution method of global optimization that permits fitting multiple production functions simultaneously.
Volume (Year): 3 (2007)
Issue (Month): 51 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mishra, SK, 2007. "Performance of Differential Evolution Method in Least Squares Fitting of Some Typical Nonlinear Curves," MPRA Paper 4634, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dhrymes, Phoebus J & Mitchell, B M, 1969. "Estimation of Joint Production Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 732-36, October.
- K. Sato, 1967. "A Two-Level Constant-Elasticity-of-Substitution Production Function," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 201-218.
- Rao, Potluri, 1969. "A Note on Econometrics of Joint Production," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 737-38, October.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Vinod, H. D., 1976. "Canonical ridge and econometrics of joint production," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 147-166, May.
- Chetty, V Karuppan, 1969. "Econometrics of Joint Production: A Comment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 731, October.
- Chizmar, John F & Zak, Thomas A, 1983. "Modeling Multiple Outputs in Educational Production Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 17-22, May.
- Vinod, Hrishikesh D, 1969. "Econometrics of Joint Production-A Reply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(4), pages 739-40, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-07c10007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.