Does The Constraint In The Matrix Of Long Run Effects Bias The Ricardian Equivalence Test?
The purpose of this paper is to test the Ricardian Equivalence Hypothesis REH by estimating a SVAR model. In this framework, we separate the co-movements of saving rate and budget deficit rate into two shocks, associated with structural parameters, as if we were looking for ‘‘two needles in haystack’’. We avoid imposing formal short and long run constraints, because these may overestimate the compensation rate and bias the estimation of structural multipliers. Our results suggest that REH is applicable to Moroccan economy, since private saving compensates a large fraction i.e. 90% of the shock in budget deficit, which may handicap the economic development.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 7 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seater, John J, 1993. "Ricardian Equivalence," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(1), pages 142-90, March.
- Becker, Torbjorn, 1997. "An investigation of Ricardian equivalence in a common trends model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 405-431, August.
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Finite Lifetimes and the Effects of Budget Deficits on National Savings,"
434, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Poterba, James M. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987. "Finite lifetimes and the effects of budget deficits on national saving," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 369-391, September.
- Domenech, Rafael & Taguas, David & Varela, Juan, 2000. "The effects of budget deficit on national saving in the OECD," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 377-383, December.
- David E. Runkle, 1987. "Vector autoregressions and reality," Staff Report 107, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Runkle, David E, 1987. "Vector Autoregressions and Reality," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(4), pages 437-442, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:7:y:2007:i:1_10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.