Regulation, Competition and Risk in the Market for Credit Cards
Contrasting proposals have recently emerged concerning the need to regulate the Canadian credit card market. The National Liberal Caucus Task Force on Financial Services recommended that interest-rate ceilings be imposed on credit cards in Canada, while the MacKay Commission on Financial Services described the credit card industry as being subject to increased competition, and did not recommend any such regulations. Based on evidence provided here on card providers, card consumers, and the changing nature of the credit card market, it is argued that ceilings are not the appropriate regulatory response.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 26 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glenn B. Canner & James T. Fergus, 1987. "The economic effects of proposed ceilings on credit card interest rates," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jan, pages 1-13.
- Andrea Meyercord, 1994. "Recent trends in the profitability of credit card banks," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sum, pages 107-111.
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
- Glenn B. Canner & Charles A. Luckett, 1992. "Developments in the pricing of credit card services," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Sep, pages 652-666.
- Brito, Dagobert L & Hartley, Peter R, 1995. "Consumer Rationality and Credit Cards," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(2), pages 400-433, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:26:y:2000:i:2:p:171-181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.