Performance and Salary Differentials in the National Hockey League
Lavoie, Grenier and Coulombe (1987) use data for a number of NHL seasons up to 1983-84 and conclude that Francophone Canadian players outperformed Anglophone Canadian players, which they interpret as evidence of hiring discrimination. This paper replicates their calculations for the 1989-90 season and finds performance differentials of the same sign, but smaller and no longer statistically significant at the 6 percent level. We also examine salary data for the 1990-91 season and find no evidence of salary discrimination, using similar empirical tools and the same standard of statistical significance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 18 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lavoie, M. & Grenier, G., 1991. "Discrimination and Salary Determination in the National Hockey League: 1977 and 1989 compared," Working Papers 9110e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- J. C. H. Jones & William D. Walsh, 1988. "Salary Determination in the National Hockey League: The Effects of Skills, Franchise Characteristics, and Discrimination," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(4), pages 592-604, July.
- Marc Lavoie & Gilles Grenier & Serge Coulombe, 1987. "Discrimination and Performance Differentials in the National Hockey League," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 13(4), pages 407-422, December.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 1991. "Discrimination in Professional Sports: A Survey of the Literature," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(3), pages 395-418, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:18:y:1992:i:4:p:470-475. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.