Performance and Salary Differentials in the National Hockey League
Lavoie, Grenier and Coulombe (1987) use data for a number of NHL seasons up to 1983-84 and conclude that Francophone Canadian players outperformed Anglophone Canadian players, which they interpret as evidence of hiring discrimination. This paper replicates their calculations for the 1989-90 season and finds performance differentials of the same sign, but smaller and no longer statistically significant at the 6 percent level. We also examine salary data for the 1990-91 season and find no evidence of salary discrimination, using similar empirical tools and the same standard of statistical significance.
Volume (Year): 18 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 1991. "Discrimination in professional sports: A survey of the literature," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(3), pages 395-418, April.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Lavoie, M. & Grenier, G., 1991. "Discrimination and Salary Determination in the National Hockey League: 1977 and 1989 compared," Working Papers 9110e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- J. C. H. Jones & William D. Walsh, 1988. "Salary Determination in the National Hockey League: The Effects of Skills, Franchise Characteristics, and Discrimination," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 41(4), pages 592-604, July.
- Marc Lavoie & Gilles Grenier & Serge Coulombe, 1987. "Discrimination and Performance Differentials in the National Hockey League," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 13(4), pages 407-422, December.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 1991. "Discrimination in Professional Sports: A Survey of the Literature," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(3), pages 395-418, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:18:y:1992:i:4:p:470-475. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.