Colombia‘s Recent History of Monetary Policy from 1990 to 2010
This article presents a reconstruction of the history of Colombia´s central bank´s (Banco de la Republica) monetary policy between 1990 and 2010, during which explicit inflation targeting was adopted by October of 2000. To do so we developed a theoretical modified Taylor rule with interest rate smoothing for an open and small economy and accordingly estimated a two regime Markov switching model which allowed the switching dates to be endogenously determined. We found that one regime had explicit inflation targeting (from the year 2000 to 2010), whereby the inflation rate became a stationary series consistent with our empirical finding that Banco de la República enforced a monetary policy that satisfied more likely the Taylor principle. This inflation stabilizing regime did present itself in some quarters before the year 2000, but not as the predominant regime. The other regime was more prevalent during the 1990s, but did not satisfy the Taylor principle as it allowed a unit root behavior of the inflation rate. Finally, we found no evidence that Banco de la República changed its behavior in terms of output fluctuations during the period studied.
Volume (Year): 30 (2012)
Issue (Month): 67 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martha Rosalba Lopezpiñeros, 2004.
"Efficient Policy Rulefor Inflation Targeting Incolombia,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 22(45), pages 80-115, June.
- Martha López P., 2004. "Efficient Policy Rule for Inflation Targeting in Colombia," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 22(45), pages 80-115, Junio.
- Martha López P., 2004. "Efficient Policy Rule for Inflation Targeting in Colombia," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 1-24, January-J.
- Martha Rosalba Lopezpiñeros, 2004. "Efficient Policy Rulefor Inflation Targeting Incolombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 22(45), pages 80-115, June.
- Martha López P., 2003. "Efficient Policy Rule for Inflation Targeting in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 240, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Martha López P., 2003. "Efficient Policy Rule For Inflation Targeting In Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002437, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1981. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural-Rate Model," NBER Working Papers 0807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997. "Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 97-116, Spring.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997. "Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?," NBER Working Papers 5893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000107:010158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.