Strategic Interaction of International Markets: An Application to the Dairy Market
This paper studies the relation between the government´s objectives to sustain income in the dairy sector and the possibility to capture rent in the world market. To do this, two different governmental policies were considered: a direct export subsidy and a price discrimination scheme. These policies were analyzed under strategic and non-strategic scenarios. The results indicate that when there is non-strategic interaction and there exists a low opportunity cost of public funds, the two policies have the same effect on total welfare and lead to the same wealth transfer to producers. When there is a strategic interaction among producers, the price discrimination scheme leads to higher consumer welfare but lower producer benefit, being the net result on total welfare determined by the relative weights of the agents in the welfare function. From the producers´ point of view, the export subsidy is preferred to the price discrimination scheme when there is imperfect competition in the world market.
Volume (Year): (2001)
Issue (Month): (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Russell Cooper & Raymond Riezman, 2013.
"Uncertainty and the Choice of Trade Policy in Oligopolistic Industries,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: International Trade Agreements and Political Economy, chapter 16, pages 287-298
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Russell Cooper & Raymond Riezman, 1989. "Uncertainty and the Choice of Trade Policy in Oligopolistic Industries," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 129-140.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Z. & Chavas, J.P. & Cox, T. & Réquillart, V., 2001.
"Price discrimination and EU dairy policy : an economic evaluation of policy options,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse)
23, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cox, Thomas L. & Requillart, Vincent, 2002. "Price Discrimination and EU Dairy Policy: An Economic Evaluation of Policy Options," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24899, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zohra Bouamra Mechemache & Vincent Réquillart, 1999. "Policy Reform in the European Union Dairy Sector: Effects on Markets and Welfare," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 47(5), pages 105-114, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000090:003526. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Universidad De Los Andes-Cede)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.