Wave of the Future: The Case for Smarter Water
The current state of municipal water pricing in Canada is significantly flawed, with costs that include underfunded water agencies, aging infrastructure and excessive consumption. Reforms are required, including the expanded use of water meters and seasonal surcharges that better reflect costs.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 281 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (416) 865-1904
Fax: (416) 865-1866
Web page: http://www.cdhowe.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grafton, R. Quentin & Kompas, Tom, 2002.
"Pricing Sydney water,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(3), September.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Tom Kompas, 2007. "Pricing Sydney water ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(3), pages 227-241, 09.
- Erin T. Mansur & Sheila M. Olmstead, 2007.
"The Value of Scarce Water: Measuring the Inefficiency of Municipal Regulations,"
NBER Working Papers
13513, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mansur, Erin T. & Olmstead, Sheila M., 2012. "The value of scarce water: Measuring the inefficiency of municipal regulations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 332-346.
- Michael Parkin, 2009. "What is the Ideal Monetary Policy Regime? Improving the Bank of Canada's Inflation-targeting Program," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 279, January.
- Diane Dupont & Steven Renzetti, 2001. "The Role of Water in Manufacturing," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(4), pages 411-432, April.
- Renwick, Mary E. & Green, Richard D., 2000. "Do Residential Water Demand Side Management Policies Measure Up? An Analysis of Eight California Water Agencies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 37-55, July.
- Robert A. Collinge, 1994. "Transferable Rate Entitlements: the Overlooked Opportunity in Municipal Water Pricing," Public Finance Review, , vol. 22(1), pages 46-64, January.
- Jasper M. Dalhuisen & Raymond J. G. M. Florax & JHenri L. F. de Groot & Peter Nijkamp, 2003. "Price and Income Elasticities of Residential Water Demand: A Meta-Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(2), pages 292-308.
- Alexandre Laurin & Colin Busby & Benjamin Dachis, 2009. "Out on a Limb: Assessing the Fiscal Sustainability and Effectiveness of the 2009 Federal Budget," e-briefs 72, C.D. Howe Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdh:commen:281. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.