Freeing up Food: The Ongoing Cost, and Potential Reform, of Supply Management
Government-mandated cartels in eggs, dairy and poultry products impose high costs on consumers and harm Canada’s standing in international trade. The authors offer compelling evidence of the high costs to Canadian consumers and limited benefits to farmers arising from the supply management system. The study recommends phasing out Canada’s controversial supply management system through sales of new quota for the production and sale of these products.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 128 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 67 Yonge St., Suite 300, Toronto, Ontario M5E 1J8|
Phone: (416) 865-1904
Fax: (416) 865-1866
Web page: http://www.cdhowe.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawson A.W. Hunter, Q.C. & Edward Iacobucci & Michael J. Trebilcock, 2010. "Scrambled Signals: Canadian Content Policies in a World of Technological Abundance," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 301, January.
- Michael Parkin, 2010. "How Soon? How Fast? Interest Rates and Other Monetary Policy Decisions in 2010," e-briefs 92, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Bill Dymond & Michael Hart, 2008. "Navigating New Trade Routes: The rise of Value chains, and the Challenges for Canadian Trade Policy," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 259, March.
- Pierre Siklos, 2010. "Taking Monetary Aggregates Seriously," e-briefs 94, C.D. Howe Institute.
- David Johnson, 2007. "School Grades: Identifying Alberta’s Best Public Schools," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 104, September.
- Alexandre Laurin & William B.P. Robson, 2009. "Supersized Superannuation: The Startling Fair-Value Cost of Federal Government Pensions," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 122, December.
- Colin Busby, 2010. "Supporting Employees who Deploy: The Case for Financial Assistance to Employers of Military Reservists," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 123, January.
- Bev Dahlby, 2009. "Once on the Lips, Forever on the Hips: A Benefit-Cost Analysis of Fiscal Stimulus in OECD Countries," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 121, December.
- Philippe Bergevin, 2010. "Change is in the Cards: Competition in the Canadian Debit Card Market," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 125, February.
- Colin Busby & William B.P. Robson & Pierre-Marcel Desjardins, 2009. "Stress Test: Demographic Pressures and Policy Options in Atlantic Canada," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 120, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdh:backgr:128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.