Les biens publics locaux en Wallonie: effet d'imitation ou de débordement?
The study applies spatial econometrics to the expenditures of the 262 municipalities of the Walloon Region (Belgium). It models the influence of expenditures from neighbouring municipalities on one given municipality. The independent variable coefficient is an indicator of a substitution-spillover effect when negative, and an indicator of a expenditure competition effect when positive. When we consider the municipalities of the Walloon Region, under our assumptions, the coefficient is significantly different from 0, and has for value + 0.81. The model does not confirm the existence a free rider / substitution / spillover effect but rather reveals significant expenditure competition effects. Each municipality apparently wants to provide a range of public local goods at least as wide as the neighbouring ones. Nevertheless the model is worth developing and some suggestions on how to do it are brought up in the final part.
Volume (Year): 49 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wallace E. Oates, 1991. "Studies In Fiscal Federalism," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 342.
- Johan Lundberg, 2006. "Spatial interaction model of spillovers from locally provided public services," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(6), pages 631-644.
- Cornes,Richard & Sandler,Todd, 1996. "The Theory of Externalities, Public Goods, and Club Goods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521477185, December.
- Cornes, Richard & Sandler, Todd, 1984. "Easy Riders, Joint Production, and Public Goods," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(375), pages 580-598, September.
- Tulkens, Henry, 1978. "Dynamic processes for public goods : An institution-oriented survey," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-201, April.
- Niklas Hanes, 2002. "Spatial Spillover Effects in the Swedish Local Rescue Services," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 531-539.
- Olson, Mancur, Jr, 1969. "The Principle of "Fiscal Equivalence": The Division of Responsibilities among Different Levels of Government," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 479-487, May.
- James C. Murdoch & Morteza Rahmatian & Mark A. Thayer, 1993. "A Spatially Autoregressive Median Voter Model of Recreation Expenditures," Public Finance Review, , vol. 21(3), pages 334-350, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bxr:bxrceb:y:2006:v:49:i:2:p:97-119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.