How Frequent Financial Reporting Can Cause Managerial Short‐Termism: An Analysis of the Costs and Benefits of Increasing Reporting Frequency
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Chandra Kanodia & Haresh Sapra & Raghu Venugopalan, 2004. "Should Intangibles Be Measured: What Are the Economic Trade‐Offs?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 89-120, March.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-1051, September.
- repec:bla:joares:v:36:y:1998:i:1:p:33-55 is not listed on IDEAS
- Persons, John C, 1994. "Renegotiation and the Impossibility of Optimal Investment," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(2), pages 419-449.
- Dye, Ronald A, 1986. "Proprietary and Nonproprietary Disclosures," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 331-366, April.
- repec:bla:joares:v:36:y:1998:i::p:117-147 is not listed on IDEAS
- Verrecchia, Robert E., 2001. "Essays on disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-3), pages 97-180, December.
- Rahman, Asheq Razaur & Tay, Teck Meng & Ong, Beng Teck & Cai, Shiyun, 2007. "Quarterly reporting in a voluntary disclosure environment: Its benefits, drawbacks and determinants," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 416-442, December.
- Darrough, Masako N. & Stoughton, Neal M., 1990. "Financial disclosure policy in an entry game," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-3), pages 219-243, January.
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1971. "The Private and Social Value of Information and the Reward to Inventive Activity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(4), pages 561-574, September.
- repec:bla:joares:v:32:y:1994:i:2:p:224-240 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ronald A. Dye, 2010. "Disclosure “Bunching”," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 489-530, June.
- Boyan Jovanovic, 1982. "Truthful Disclosure of Information," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(1), pages 36-44, Spring.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Verrecchia, Robert E, 1991. " Disclosure, Liquidity, and the Cost of Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1325-1359, September.
- Christopher Polk & Paola Sapienza, 2009. "The Stock Market and Corporate Investment: A Test of Catering Theory," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 187-217, January.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 1989. "Efficient Capital Markets, Inefficient Firms: A Model of Myopic Corporate Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 655-669.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000. "Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Bebchuk, Lucian Arye & Stole, Lars A, 1993. " Do Short-Term Objectives Lead to Under- or Overinvestment in Long-Term Projects?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(2), pages 719-729, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:bla:stratm:v:37:y:2016:i:12:p:2463-2480 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:8:y:2016:i:3:p:280:d:66034 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alfred Wagenhofer, 2014. "Trading off Costs and Benefits of Frequent Financial Reporting," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 389-401, May.
- Armstrong, Margaret & D'Arrigo, Rafael & Petter, Carlos & Galli, Alain, 2016. "How resource-poor countries in Asia are securing stable long-term reserves: Comparing Japan's and South Korea's approaches," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 51-60.
- repec:eee:jaecon:v:64:y:2017:i:2:p:340-345 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:reaccs:v:22:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s11142-017-9397-z is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:finsta:v:37:y:2018:i:c:p:49-59 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marian Buil & Juan Pedro Aznar & Jorge Galiana & Alba Rocafort-Marco, 2016. "An Explanatory Study of MBA Students with Regards to Sustainability and Ethics Commitment," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 8(3), pages 1-13, March.
- repec:kap:jbuset:v:157:y:2019:i:4:d:10.1007_s10551-018-3959-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert Rieg, 2015. "Dynamics of value-based management: does shareholder value cause short-termism?," Journal of Management Control: Zeitschrift für Planung und Unternehmenssteuerung, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 193-224, August.
- Pedro Verga Matos & Miguel Coelho, 2016. "Short-Termism In Euronext Lisbon: An Empirical Analysis," Portuguese Journal of Management Studies, ISEG, Universidade de Lisboa, vol. 21(1), pages 49-76.
- Jia, Xue, 2016. "On the role of information disclosures in capital markets," Other publications TiSEM 9bacfbaa-2162-49fe-92e6-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Satoshi Taguchi & Yoshio Kamijo, 2018. "Intentions behind disclosure to promote trust under short-termism: An experimental study," Working Papers SDES-2018-8, Kochi University of Technology, School of Economics and Management, revised Oct 2018.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:joares:v:52:y:2014:i:2:p:357-387. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley Content Delivery). General contact details of provider: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-8456 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.