State Taxation of the Iron Ore Industry in Western Australia
As a contribution to the debate over the taxation of the extractive industries, this article provides estimates of the short run and long run price elasticities of supply for iron ore in Western Australia. Using these estimates, an increase of 1 per cent in the average royalty rate on iron ore is shown to result in a short run decline of 0.61 per cent in the output of iron ore, and a long run decline of 4.36 per cent.It is concluded that raising tax revenue by ad valorem royalties on iron ore leads to a substantial distortion of output, especially after accounting for indirect effects. Copyright 1985 The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 18 (1985)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010|
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0004-9018
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0004-9018|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, H F & Lindner, R K, 1985.
"Mineral Exploration and the Neutrality of Rent Royalties,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 61(172), pages 445-449, March.
- H.F. Campbell & R.K. Lindner, 1984. "Mineral Exploration and the Neutrality of Rent Royalties," School of Economics Working Papers 1984-02, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Barnett, Donald W. & Anderson, David L., 1983. "Taxation of uranium mining in Canada and Australia," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 252-260, December.
- Emerson, Craig & Lloyd, P J, 1983. "Improving Mineral Taxation Policy in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 59(166), pages 232-244, September.
- Garnaut, Ross & Clunies Ross, Anthony, 1975. "Uncertainty, Risk Aversion and the Taxing of Natural Resource Projects," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(338), pages 272-287, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:ausecr:v:18:y:1985:i:1:p:30-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.