Unfavorable Business Environment and Foreign Direct Investment Activities of Turkish Manufacturing Firms
The purpose of this paper is to empirically investigate the influence of the home country’s unfavorable business environment on the internationalization of Turkish manufacturing firms (TMFs) via FDI. This study uses cross-sectional survey data from a sample 94 TMFs that have equity investment in 28 countries since the mid 1980s. The research results indicate that utility costs, unstable exchange rates, high inflation rate and political instability are considered to be the most important push motives of TMFs. While the relative importance of push motives (i.e., unfavorable business environment) vary with respect to the sampled firm’s ages and, to some extent, their sizes; the motives do not vary based on TMFs’ subsector.
Volume (Year): 3 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +90-312-455 65 00
Fax: +90-312-424 08 77
Web page: http://www.bddk.org.tr/WebSitesi/turkce/Raporlar/BDDK_Dergi/BDDK_Dergi.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krishna Kumar & Kee Young Kim, 1984. "The Korean Manufacturing Multinationals," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(1), pages 45-61, March.
- Robert Grosse & Len J Trevino, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: An Analysis by Country of Origin," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(1), pages 139-155, March.
- Kálmán Kalotay, 2004. "Outward FDI from Central and Eastern European Countries," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 141-172, 06.
- Lecraw, Donald J, 1977. "Direct Investment by Firms from Less Developed Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(3), pages 442-57, November.
- John D Daniels, 1970. "Recent Foreign Direct Manufacturing Investment in the United States," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 1(1), pages 125-132, March.
- Jeffrey S Arpan & Edward B Flowers & David A Ricks, 1981. "Foreign Direct Investment in the United States: The State of Knowledge in Research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(1), pages 137-154, March.
- Riad A Ajami & David A Ricks, 1981. "Motives of Non-American Firms Investing in the United States," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(3), pages 25-34, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdd:journl:v:3:y:2009:i:1:p:101-118. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zafer Kovancý)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.