Does a National Health Insurance System Enhance Quality of Care and Contain Cost?-An Empirical Investigation of the National Health Insurance System in Taiwan
The main purpose of this study is to examine: (1) The dynamic changes in cost containment and quality that have occurred under the National Health Insurance (NHI) program in Taiwan; (2) The trade-off effect relationship between cost and quality. This paper uses an empirical model to look at data from hospitals in Taipei between 1989 and 2004. The findings indicate that the NHI has led to poor cost containment and unimproved quality of care. In addition, it is to found that, after the NHI, there has been no trade-off between cost containment and quality. This suggests that a lack of market competition and an ineffective monitoring system have led to poor cost containment and quality. However, the negative relationship between cost and quality shows that the payment system should be link between cost and quality.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
Web page: http://www.bapress.ca
|Order Information:|| Postal: 17 Alton Towers Circle, Unit 101 Toronto, ON, M1V3L8, Canada|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fu, Hwai-Hui & Tsai, Hsien-Tang & Lin, Ching-Wei & Wei, Duan, 2004. "Application of a single sampling plan for auditing medical-claim payments made by Taiwan National Health Insurance," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 185-195, November.
- Melinda Muth & Lex Donaldson, 1998. "Stewardship Theory and Board Structure: a contingency approach," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 5-28, 01.
- Milne, Robin G. & Torsney, Ben, 2003. "Financial incentives, competition and a two tier service: lessons from the UK National Health Service internal market," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 1-12, April.
- Hung, Jung-Hua & Chang, Li, 2008. "Has cost containment after the National Health Insurance system been successful: Determinants of Taiwan hospital costs," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 321-335, March.
- Chang, Hsihui & Chang, Wen-Jing & Das, Somnath & Li, Shu-Hsing, 2004. "Health care regulation and the operating efficiency of hospitals: Evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 483-510.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bap:journl:110503. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.