Risk Analysis For Proprietors With Limited Liability: A Mean- Variance, Safety- First Synthesis
Since nearly the entire U.S. output of agricultural commodities is produced by proprietors with limited liability, it is important to understand how limited liability affects decision in a risky environment. This article extends the work of Robinson and Barry; Robinson and Lev; and Robinson, Barry, and Burghart. It provides a rigorous derivation of one of their objective functions, compares it to standard risk analysis tools, and suggests several methods of empirical implementation. Under some conditions, utility maximization in the limited liability environment is consistent with optimization of Roy's safety-first criterion, while in other situations Freund's mean-variance criterion is appropriate. However, it is easy to demonstrate cases where neither criterion is applicable.
Volume (Year): 16 (1991)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Neil Collender & James A. Chalfant, 1986. "An Alternative Approach to Decisions under Uncertainty Using the Empirical Moment-Generating Function," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 68(3), pages 727-731.
- Yassour, Joseph & Zilberman, David D. & Rausser, Gordon C., 1980.
"Optimal choices among alternative technologies with stochastic yield,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt0gt334fc, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Joseph Yassour & David Zilberman & Gordon C. Rausser, 1981. "Optimal Choices among Alternative Technologies with Stochastic Yield," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 63(4), pages 718-723.
- Yassour, Joseph & Zilberman, David & Rausser, Gordon C, 1980. "Optimal choices among alternative technologies with stochastic yield," CUDARE Working Paper Series 155, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Robison, Lindon J. & Barry, Peter J. & Burghardt, William G., 1987. "Borrowing Behavior Under Financial Stress By The Proprietary Firm: A Theoretical Analysis," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- repec:cdl:agrebk:1141583 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:wjagec:32617. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.