Measuring the Local Economic Impact of Cooperatives
The ability to measure the economic importance of cooperatives to communities is not purely an academic question. Policy makers, cooperative organizations, and community development practitioners are increasingly asking for such information. The most commonly used methodology is input-output analysis. The limitations of input-output analysis when applied to cooperatives have not yet been comprehensively explained in the literature, although they significantly affect the application of the model as well as the interpretation of results. We discuss five issues that need to be addressed when using input-output models and suggest additional analysis that should be completed to gain an accurate assessment of the local economic impact of cooperatives.
Volume (Year): 35 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://departments.agri.huji.ac.il/economics/en/jrc.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Connor, John M., 2005. "Price-Fixing Overcharges: Legal And Economic Evidence," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19254, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Zeuli, Kimberly A. & Radel, Jamie, 2005. "Cooperatives as a Community Development Strategy: Linking Theory and Practice," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 35(1).
- Fulton, Murray E. & Ketilson, Lou Hammond, 1992. "The Role of Cooperatives in Communities: Examples from Saskatchewan," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 7.
- Bangsund, Dean A. & Leistritz, F. Larry, 1998. "Economic Contribution Of The Sugarbeet Industry To North Dakota And Minnesota; Summary," Agricultural Economics Reports 23204, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- McNamara, Kevin T. & Fulton, Joan R. & Hine, Susan E., 2001. "The Economic Impacts Associated with Locally Owned Agricultural Cooperatives: A Comparison of the Great Plains and the Eastern Cornbelt," 2001 Annual Meeting, October 30-31 31819, NCERA-194 Research on Cooperatives.
- Bangsund, Dean A. & Leistritz, F. Larry, 1998. "Economic Contribution Of The Sugarbeet Industry To North Dakota And Minnesota," Agricultural Economics Reports 23450, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlorco:58682. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.