Evaluierung von Agrarumweltprogrammen auf Grundlage der Umwelteffizienz landwirtschaftlicher Betriebe
This paper sets out to develop an economic framework for ex post evaluations of agri-environmental schemes. We begin by developing a non-parametric model for estimating farm-level environmental efficiency scores. We then use this efficiency framework to devise a set of economic criteria for evaluating agri-environmental schemes. One key criterion is whether an environmental scheme has given rise to an increase in environmental efficiency scores across participating farms, relative to a counterfactual group of non participants. We finally demonstrate the potential usefulness of the framework by applying it to a fictitious multiple-objective conservation programme. The dataset is made up of 100 fictitious farms, half of which participate in the environmental programme. Each farm is characterised by a set of financial and environmental performance indicators. The results of this mock evaluation show that the proposed evaluation framework generates useful insights into the performance of the scheme and permits identification of potential improvements.
Volume (Year): 57 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3/4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)30 2093 6305
Fax: +49 (0)30 2093 6497
Web page: http://www.gjae-online.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ordóñez, Andrea & Roosen, Jutta, 2003.
"Voluntary Agreements and the Environmental Efficiency of Participating Farms,"
FE Working Papers
0305, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies.
- Roosen, Jutta & Ordonez, Andrea, 2002. "Voluntary Agreements and the Environmental Efficiency of Participating Farms," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24897, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Tyteca, Daniel, 1996. "An activity analysis model of the environmental performance of firms--application to fossil-fuel-fired electric utilities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 161-175, August.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Piot-Lepetit, Isabelle & Brummer, Bernhard & Kleinhanss, Werner, 2001. "Impacts of environmental regulations on the efficiency of arable farms in France and Germany," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 50(3).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gjagec:97596. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.