Landwirtschaftlicher Bodenmarkt - Dominanz der nicht-landwirtschaftlichen uber die landwirtschaftlichen Faktoren?
The aim of the study presented in this article is to identify existing conflicts of land use and ownership in the 'Landwirtschaftszone', together with the problems arising therefore. This paper discusses determinants of farmland prices in Canton Zurich. A hedonic price model was used to estimate 1) the implicit value of an agricultural use of a land parcel, 2) the implicit value of the option to convert a farm parcel to a non-farm use and 3) the implicit consumptive value (value of owning land) of agricultural land. The analysis found farmland prices are influenced by agricultural production attributes as well as factors that influence the non-agricultural demand for land. In Canton Zurich, it can be assumed that economic development has already taken place in all communities in which it was possible. Its effect on farmland prices is therefore already manifested by influencing factors such as population density and the circumstances regarding land use. Once the new law on farmland became effective (1.1.1994), speculatory motives became much less a feature of land purchases. The weight of the factors determining price has thus shifted from "non-agricultural" to "agricultural". Arousing concern is on the other hand the fact that after 1994, the likelihood of transactions on good parcels located in economically strong communities has shrunk significantly. The ruling on maximum price may be responsible for the demise of the agricultural land market. The policy recommendations arising from the results relate both to the provisions of farmland legislation and to aspects of the law on space planning. In particular, innovations are proposed with regard to the keeping of price statistics, the terms of taking possession at income value and the definition of agricultural structures.
Volume (Year): (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sga-sse.ch/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cynthia J. Nickerson & Lori Lynch, 2001.
"The Effect of Farmland Preservation Programs on Farmland Prices,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 341-351.
- Nickerson, Cynthia J. & Lynch, Lori, 1999. "The Effect of Farmland Preservation Programs on Farmland Prices," Working Papers 197861, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F. & d'Arge, R. C., 1989.
"Okoboji Experiment: Comparing Non-Market Valuation Techniques in an Unusually Well-Defined Market for Water Quality,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
298, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- d'Arge, Ralph C. & Shogren, Jason F., 1989. "Okoboji experiment: Comparing non-market valuation techniques in an unusually well-defined market for water quality," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 251-259, October.
- Charles B. Moss, 1997. "Returns, Interest Rates, and Inflation: How They Explain Changes in Farmland Values," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1311-1318.
- Joseph A. Herriges & Jason F. Shogren & Nancy E. Barickman, 1992.
"The Implicit Value of Corn Base Acreage,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(1), pages 50-58.
- Miranowski, John & Hammes, B., 1984. "Implicit Prices of Soil Characteristics for Farmland in Iowa," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10706, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Barry Falk & Bong-Soo Lee, 1998. "Fads versus Fundamentals in Farmland Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 696-707.
- J. S. Shonkwiler & J. E. Reynolds, 1986. "A Note on the Use of Hedonic Price Models in the Analysis of Land Prices at the Urban Fringe," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(1), pages 58-63.
- Myrick Freeman, A. III, 1974. "On estimating air pollution control benefits from land value studies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 74-83, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:agrarw:31996. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.