Estimating the Demand for Cigarettes in Greece: An Error Correction Model
This paper provides an empirical analysis of cigarette consumption in Greece for the period 1960-1995 using the recent developments on cointegration techniques and error correction models. It was found that the empirical model performs well on both theoretical and statistical grounds. Short- and long-run impacts of price and income changes on cigarette demand were obtained and found to be small.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hallam, David & Zanoli, Raffaele, 1993. "Error Correction Models and Agricultural Supply Response," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(2), pages 151-166.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Tansel, A., 1992. "Cigarette Demand, Health Scares and Education in Turkey," Papers 660, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Martin D. Evans & Karen K. Lewis, 1992.
"Peso Problems and Heterogeneous Trading: Evidence From Excess Returns in Foreign Exchange and Euromarkets,"
NBER Working Papers
4003, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin D. Evans & Karen K. Lewis, 1992. "Peso Problems and Heterogeneous Trading: Evidence from Excess Returns in Foreign Exchange and Euromarkets," Working Papers 92-13, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- George Hondroyiannis & Evangelia Papapetrou, 1997. "Cigarette consumption in Greece: empirical evidence from cointegration analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(9), pages 571-574.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aergaa:26432. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.