Stock Market Prediction using Artificial Neural Networks. Case Study of TAL1T, Nasdaq OMX Baltic Stock
Predicting financial market changes is an important issue in time series analysis, receiving an increasing attention in last two decades. The combined prediction model, based on artificial neural networks (ANNs) with principal component analysis (PCA) for financial time series forecasting is presented in this work. In the modeling step, technical analysis has been conducted to select technical indicators. Then PCA approach was applied to extract the principal components from the variables for the training step. Finally, the ANN-based model called NARX was used to train the data and perform the time series forecast. TAL1T stock of Nasdaq OMX Baltic stock exchange was used as a case study. The mean square error (MSE) measure was used to evaluate the performances of proposed model. The experimental results lead to the conclusion that the proposed model can be successfully used as an alternative method to standard statistical techniques for financial time series forecasting.
Volume (Year): 6 (2015)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6 ROMANA PLACE, 70167 - BUCHAREST|
Web page: http://dbjournal.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ghiassi, M. & Saidane, H. & Zimbra, D.K., 2005. "A dynamic artificial neural network model for forecasting time series events," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 341-362.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Wun-Hua Chen & Jen-Ying Shih & Soushan Wu, 2006. "Comparison of support-vector machines and back propagation neural networks in forecasting the six major Asian stock markets," International Journal of Electronic Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 49-67.
- Kuan, Chung-Ming & Liu, Tung, 1995. "Forecasting Exchange Rates Using Feedforward and Recurrent Neural Networks," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 347-364, Oct.-Dec..
- Olson, Dennis & Mossman, Charles, 2003. "Neural network forecasts of Canadian stock returns using accounting ratios," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 453-465.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aes:dbjour:v:6:y:2015:i:2:p:14-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adela Bara)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.