Efficient capital markets: A statistical definition and comments
An alternative definition for market efficiency, based on statistical rather than financial arguments is suggested, which, though equivalent with the existing one, has some comparative advantages. Further, the implications that results from some statistical tests on return predictability may have for market efficiency are discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 77 (2007)
Issue (Month): 6 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- LeRoy, Stephen F, 1989. "Efficient Capital Markets and Martingales," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 27(4), pages 1583-1621, December.
- Rubinstein, Mark, 1975. "Securities Market Efficiency in an Arrow-Debreu Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 812-24, December.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Black, Fischer, 1986. " Noise," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 529-43, July.
- Alexandros Milionis & Demetrios Moschos, 2000. "On the validity of the weak-form efficient markets hypothesis applied to the London stock exchange: comment," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(7), pages 419-421.
- repec:cdl:ucsbec:13-89 is not listed on IDEAS
- LeRoy, Stephen F, 1976. "Efficient Capital Markets: Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(1), pages 139-41, March.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- Harry V. Roberts, 1959. "Stock‐Market “Patterns” And Financial Analysis: Methodological Suggestions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 14(1), pages 1-10, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:77:y:2007:i:6:p:607-613. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.