An Evaluation of the Treasury Plan for Banking Reform
The Treasury plan for banking reform--Modernizing the Financial System: Recommendations for Safer More Competitive Banks--was released on February 5, 1991 (U.S. Treasury, 1991), and has a stated purpose of promoting a safe, sound, and competitive banking system. It contains recommendations for the most thorough overhaul of the banking regulatory system since the Great Depression. This paper provides a framework for understanding the U.S. banking regulatory system and how it has produced the current crisis in the banking industry, and uses this analysis to evaluate the Treasury plan.
Volume (Year): 6 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/jep/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milton Friedman & Anna J. Schwartz, 1963. "A Monetary History of the United States, 1867–1960," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie63-1.
- White, Lawrence J, 1989.
"The Reform of Federal Deposit Insurance,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 11-29, Fall.
- Lawrence J. White, 1989. "The reform of Federal Deposit Insurance," Proceedings 258, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Edward J. Kane, 1989. "How Incentive-Incompatible Deposit-Insurance Funds Fail," NBER Working Papers 2836, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brimmer, Andrew F, 1989. "Distinguished Lecture on Economics in Government: Central Banking and Systemic Risks in Capital Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 3-16, Spring.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-491, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)