The Phillips Curve, the Persistence of Inflation, and the Lucas Critique: Evidence from Exchange-Rate Regimes: Comment
The purpose of this comment is to demonstrate that their theoretical result concerning the first order derivative of relative inflation persistence with respect to the degree of accommodation is incorrect. As a consequence, the sign of the first derivative becomes ambiguous. We provide an economic explanation of this result, elaborating on the three distinct transmission mechanisms in the AS (relative) model. Moreover, we propose an economically meaningful modification of the original AS model that restores a strictly positive relation between exchange rate accommodation and relative inflation persistence.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 90 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/aer/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen & JÃ¼rgen von Hagen, 1997. "European Monetary Unification: Implications of Research for Policy, Implications of Policy for Research," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 71-90, January.
- Alogoskoufis, George S, 1992.
"Monetary Accommodation, Exchange Rate Regimes and Inflation Persistence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(412), pages 461-80, May.
- Alogoskoufis, George, 1991. "Monetary Accommodation, Exchange Rate Regimes and Inflation Persistence," CEPR Discussion Papers 503, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1998. "European Monetary Unification: A Tour d'Horizon," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 24-40, Autumn.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson & Andrew T. Levin, 1998.
"Tradeoffs between inflation and output-gap variances in an optimizing-agent model,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
627, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Erceg, Christopher J. & Henderson, Dale W. & Levin, Andrew T., 1998. "Tradeoffs Between Inflation and Output-Gap Variances in an Optimizing-Agent Model," Seminar Papers 650, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Erceg, C.J. & Henderson, D.W. & Levin, A.T., 1998. "Tradeoffs Between Inflation and Output-Gap Variances in an Optimizing-Agent Model," Papers 650, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Artis, Michael J & Ormerod, Paul, 1991. "Is There an `EMS' Effect in European Labour Markets?," CEPR Discussion Papers 598, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hamid Faruqee & Douglas Laxton & Bart Turtelboom & Peter Isard & Eswar Prasad, 1998. "Multimod Mark III; The Core Dynamic and Steady State Model," IMF Occasional Papers 164, International Monetary Fund.
- Roberts, John M, 1995. "New Keynesian Economics and the Phillips Curve," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 975-84, November.
- Maria Demertzis & Andrew Hughes Hallett, 1996. "Regional Inequalities and the Business Cycle: An Explanation of the Rise in European Unemployment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 15-29.
- Alogoskoufis, George S & Smith, Ron, 1991. "The Phillips Curve, the Persistence of Inflation, and the Lucas Critique: Evidence from Exchange-Rate Regimes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1254-75, December.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1982. "PPP Exchange-Rate Rules and Macroeconomic Stability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(1), pages 158-65, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aea:aecrev:v:90:y:2000:i:1:p:312-315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros)or (Michael P. Albert)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.