Paying a Premium on Your Premium? Consolidation in the US Health Insurance Industry
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Leemore Dafny & Mark Duggan & Subramaniam Ramanarayanan, 2009. "Paying a Premium on Your Premium? Consolidation in the U.S. Health Insurance Industry," NBER Working Papers 15434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
References listed on IDEAS
- Capps, Cory & Dranove, David & Satterthwaite, Mark, 2003. " Competition and Market Power in Option Demand Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(4), pages 737-763, Winter.
- Wholey, Douglas & Feldman, Roger & Christianson, Jon B., 1995. "The effect of market structure on HMO premiums," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 81-105, May.
- Town, Robert, 2001. "The welfare impact of HMO mergers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 967-990, November.
- Borenstein, Severin & Rose, Nancy L, 1994.
"Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 653-683, August.
- Severin Borenstein & Nancy L. Rose, 1991. "Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 3785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven T. Berry & Joel Waldfogel, 2001. "Do Mergers Increase Product Variety? Evidence from Radio Broadcasting," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 116(3), pages 1009-1025.
- Evans, William N & Froeb, Luke M & Werden, Gregory J, 1993. "Endogeneity in the Concentration-Price Relationship: Causes, Consequences, and Cures," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 431-438, December.
- Cotterill, Ronald W, 1986. "Market Power in the Retail Food Industry: Evidence from Vermont," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(3), pages 379-386, August.
- Moriya, Asako S. & Vogt, William B. & Gaynor, Martin, 2010. "Hospital prices and market structure in the hospital and insurance industries," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 459-479, October.
- Alan T. Sorensen, 2003. "Insurer-hospital bargaining: negotiated discounts in post-deregulation connecticut," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 469-490, December.
- McClellan, Mark & Cutler, David & Newhous, Joseph P., 2000. "How Does Managed Care Do It?," Scholarly Articles 2643884, Harvard University Department of Economics.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pau Olivella & Fred Schroyen, 2014.
"Multidimensional Screening in a Monopolistic Insurance Market,"
The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review,
Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 39(1), pages 90-130, March.
- OLIVELLA, Pau & SCHROYEN, Fred, 2011. "Multidimensional screening in a monopolistic insurance market," CORE Discussion Papers 2011056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pau Olivella & Fred Schroyen, 2012. "Multidimensional Screening in a Monopolistic Insurance Market," Working Papers 619, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Olivella, Pau & Schroyen, Fred, 2011. "Multidimensional screening in a monopolistic insurance market," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 19/2011, Norwegian School of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Trish, Erin E. & Herring, Bradley J., 2015. "How do health insurer market concentration and bargaining power with hospitals affect health insurance premiums?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 104-114.
- Duggan, Mark & Starc, Amanda & Vabson, Boris, 2016.
"Who benefits when the government pays more? Pass-through in the Medicare Advantage program,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(C), pages 50-67.
- Mark Duggan & Amanda Starc & Boris Vabson, 2014. "Who Benefits when the Government Pays More? Pass-Through in the Medicare Advantage Program," NBER Working Papers 19989, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Duggan & Amanda Starc & Boris Vabson, 2014. "Who Benefits when the Government Pays More? Pass-Through in the Medicare Advantage Program," Discussion Papers 14-004, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Neale Mahoney & E. Glen Weyl, 2017. "Imperfect Competition in Selection Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 99(4), pages 637-651, July.
- Liu, Yiyan & Jin, Ginger Zhe, 2015. "Employer contribution and premium growth in health insurance," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 228-247.
- Greenfield, Daniel, 2014. "Competition and service quality: New evidence from the airline industry," Economics of Transportation, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 80-89.
- Dunn, Abe & Shapiro, Adam Hale, 2015. "Physician payments under health care reform," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 89-105.
- Miller, Nathan H. & Remer, Marc & Ryan, Conor & Sheu, Gloria, 2017.
"Upward pricing pressure as a predictor of merger price effects,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 216-247.
- Nathan Miller & Marc Remer & Conor Ryan & Gloria Sheu, 2016. "Upward Pricing Pressure as a Predictor of Merger Price Effects," EAG Discussions Papers 201602, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Pelech, Daria, 2018. "Paying more for less? Insurer competition and health plan generosity in the Medicare Advantage program," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 77-92.
- Pelech, Daria, 2017. "Dropped out or pushed out? Insurance market exit and provider market power in Medicare Advantage," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 98-112.
- Capps, Cory & Dranove, David & Ody, Christopher, 2018. "The effect of hospital acquisitions of physician practices on prices and spending," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 139-152.
More about this item
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L4 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies
ListsThis item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Paying a Premium on Your Premium? Consolidation in the US Health Insurance Industry (AER 2012) in ReplicationWiki
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aea:aecrev:v:102:y:2012:i:2:p:1161-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael P. Albert). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/aeaaaea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.