Bidding with Securities: Comment
Peter DeMarzo, Ilan Kremer, and Andrzej Skrzypacz (2005) analyzed auctions in which bidders compete in securities. They show that a steeper security leads to a higher expected revenue for the seller, and also use this to establish the revenue ranking between standard auctions. In this comment, we obtain the opposite results to DKS's by assuming that a higher return requires a higher investment cost. Given this latter assumption, steeper securities are more vulnerable to adverse selection, and may yield lower expected revenue, than flatter ones. (JEL D44 )
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 100 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/aer/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter M. DeMarzo & Ilan Kremer & Andrzej Skrzypacz, 2005.
"Bidding with Securities: Auctions and Security Design,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(4), pages 936-959, September.
- Peter M. DeMarzo & Ilan Kremer & Andrzej Skrzypacz, 2004. "Bidding With Securities: Auctions and Security Design," NBER Working Papers 10891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrzej Skrzypacz & Peter M. DeMarzo & Ilan Kremer, 2004. "Bidding with Securities: Auctions and Security Design," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 637, Econometric Society.
- Andrzej Skrzypacz & Peter M. DeMarzo & Ilan Kremer, 2004. "Bidding with Securities: Auctions and Security Design," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 641, Econometric Society.
- Zheng, Charles Z., 2001. "High Bids and Broke Winners," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 129-171, September.
- Zheng, Charles Zhoucheng, 2001. "High Bids and Broke Winners," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12665, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Samuelson, William, 1987. "Auctions with Contingent Payments: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 740-745, September.
- Hansen, Robert G, 1985. "Auctions with Contingent Payments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 862-865, September.
- Simon Board, 2007. "Bidding into the Red: A Model of Post-Auction Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(6), pages 2695-2723, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)