A New Metric for Banking Integration in Europe
AbstractMost observers have concluded that while money markets and government bond markets are rapidly integrating following the introduction of the common currency in the euro area, there is little evidence that a similar integration process is taking place for retail banking. Data on cross-border retail bank flows, cross-border bank mergers and the law of one price reveal no evidence of integration in retail banking. This paper shows that the previous tests of bank integration are weak in that they are not based on an equilibrium concept and are neither necessary nor sufficient statistics for bank integration. The paper proposes a new test of integration based on convergence in banks' profitability. The new test emphasises the role of an active market for corporate control and of competition in banking integration. European listed banks profitability appears to converge to a common level. There is weak evidence that competition eliminates high profits for these banks, and underperforming banks tend to show improved profitability. Unlisted European banks differ markedly. Their profits show no tendency to revert to a common target rate of profitability. Overall, the banking market in Europe appears far from being integrated. In contrast, in the U.S. both listed and unlisted commercial banks profits converge to the same target, and high profit banks see their profits driven down quickly. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 08-102.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-02-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2009-02-14 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2009-02-14 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2009-02-14 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EEC-2009-02-14 (European Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph P. Hughes & Loretta J. Mester, 2008. "Efficiency in banking: theory, practice, and evidence," Working Papers 08-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Varian, Hal R, 1985. "Price Discrimination and Social Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 870-75, September.
- Reint Gropp & Marco Lo Duca & Jukka Vesala, 2007.
"Cross-Border Bank Contagion in Europe,"
Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting
175, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2003.
"Bias in Dynamic Panel Estimation with Fixed Effects, Incidental Trends and Cross Section Dependence,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1438, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jun 2004.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Sul, Donggyu, 2007. "Bias in dynamic panel estimation with fixed effects, incidental trends and cross section dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 162-188, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2004. "Bias in Dynamic Panel Estimation with Fixed Effects, Incidental Trends and Cross Section Dependence," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm428, Yale School of Management.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Christa Hainz, 2008.
"Integrating with their Feet: Cross-Border Lending at the German-Austrian Border,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2279, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Hainz, Christa, 2008. "Integrating with Their Feet: Cross-Border Lending at the German-Austrian Border," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 248, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Manapol Ekkayokkaya & Phil Holmes & Krishna Paudyal, 2009. "The Euro and the Changing Face of European Banking: Evidence from Mergers and Acquisitions," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 15(2), pages 451-476.
- Salop, S & Stiglitz, J E, 1982. "The Theory of Sales: A Simple Model of Equilibrium Price Dispersion with Identical Agents," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1121-30, December.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, .
"Forecasting Profitability and Earnings,"
CRSP working papers
358, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- George J. Stigler, 1963. "Introduction to "Capital and Rates of Return in Manufacturing Industries"," NBER Chapters, in: Capital and Rates of Return in Manufacturing Industries, pages 3-10 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martynova, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2006.
"Mergers and Acquisitions in Europe,"
2006-003, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Wolf Wagner, 2009. "Efficient Asset Allocations in the Banking Sector and Financial Regulation," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(1), pages 75-95, March.
- George J. Stigler, 1963. "Capital and Rates of Return in Manufacturing Industries," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number stig63-1, June.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2005.
"Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange,"
2005 Meeting Papers
234, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2005. "Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange," CEPR Discussion Papers 4837, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2004. "Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange," NBER Working Papers 11005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2007. "Cultural Biases in Economic Exchange?," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/42, European University Institute.
- George J. Stigler, 1963. "Errata Statement for "Capital and Rates of Return in Manufacturing Industries"," NBER Chapters, in: Capital and Rates of Return in Manufacturing Industries, pages -7 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998.
"Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1900, The World Bank.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1988. "Value Maximization and the Acquisition Process," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 7-20, Winter.
- George J. Stigler, 1963. "Introductory material for "Capital and Rates of Return in Manufacturing Industries", including Preface," NBER Chapters, in: Capital and Rates of Return in Manufacturing Industries, pages -21--9 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Yuki Teranishi, 2009.
"Financial Stability in Open Economies,"
IMES Discussion Paper Series
09-E-09, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Yuki Teranishi, 2013. "Financial Stability in Open Economies," CAMA Working Papers 2013-71, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Yuki Teranishi & Ippei Fujiwara, 2013. "Financial stability in open economies," AJRC Working Papers 06, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Vallascas, Francesco & Keasey, Kevin, 2012. "Bank resilience to systemic shocks and the stability of banking systems: Small is beautiful," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1745-1776.
- Barbara Casu & Alessandra Ferrari & Claudia Girardone & John O.S. Wilson, 2014. "Integration, Productivity and Technological Spillovers: Evidence for Eurozone Banking Industries," Economics & Management Discussion Papers em-dp2014-01, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Adam Posen & Nicolas VÃ©ron, 2009.
"A solution for Europe's banking problem,"
- Wagenvoort, Rien & Ebner, André & Morgese Borys, Magdalena, 2009. "EFR 2009-01 A factor analysis approach to measuring European loan and bond market integration," Economic and Financial Reports 2009/1, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Loretta J. Mester, 2010. "Comment on "A New Metric for Banking Integration in Europe"," NBER Chapters, in: Europe and the Euro, pages 246-253 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wagenvoort, Rien & Ebner, André & Morgese Borys, Magdalena, 2009.
"A factor analysis approch to measuring European loan and bond market integration,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
11071, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Wagenvoort, Rien J.L.M. & Ebner, André & Morgese Borys, Magdalena, 2011. "A factor analysis approach to measuring European loan and bond market integration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 1011-1025, April.
- Vlastimir Vukovic, 2011. "Banking Sector Comparative Analysis Serbia vs EU Member States," Book Chapters, Institute of Economic Sciences.
- Cândida Ferreira, 2011. "European integration and banking efficiency: a panel cost frontier approach," Working Papers Department of Economics 2011/04, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Nao Sudo & Yuki Teranishi, 2008. "Optimal Monetary Policy under Imperfect Financial Integration," IMES Discussion Paper Series 08-E-25, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Vlastimir Vukovic & Gradimir Kožetinac & Dusan Kostic, 2009. "Impact of Global Financial Crisis on Banking Profitability: The Case of Serbia," Book Chapters, Institute of Economic Sciences.
- Massimiliano Affinito & Fabio Farabullini, 2009. "Does the Law of One Price Hold in Euro-Area Retail Banking? An Empirical Analysis of Interest Rate Differentials across the Monetary Union," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(1), pages 5-37, March.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Yuki Teranishi, 2010.
"Real exchange rate dynamics revisited: a case with financial market imperfections,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
62, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Fujiwara, Ippei & Teranishi, Yuki, 2011. "Real exchange rate dynamics revisited: A case with financial market imperfections," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1562-1589.
- Jouchi Nakajima & Yuki Teranishi, 2009. "The Evolution of Loan Rate Stickiness Across the Euro Area," IMES Discussion Paper Series 09-E-10, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Massimiliano Affinito, 2011. "Convergence clubs, the euro-area rank and the relationship between banking and real convergence," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 809, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gropp, Reint & Köhler, Matthias, 2010. "Bank owners or bank managers: who is keen on risk? Evidence from the financial crisis," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-013, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Anton, Sorin Gabriel & Avadanei, Andreea, 2010. "The implications of European retail banking integration on small and medium-sized enterprises financing. An overview," MPRA Paper 28660, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.