The Euro and the Changing Face of European Banking: Evidence from Mergers and Acquisitions
Abstract"During the last fifteen years, the European banking industry has experienced considerable consolidation through mergers and acquisitions against the background of the introduction of the single currency and reductions in cross-border barriers. This paper investigates whether these changes impacted on announcement period gains of the banks acquiring targets by examining the pre-euro, run-up to the euro and post euro eras. Evidence suggests bidders' gains have fallen with the development of economic and monetary union. It also reveals significant differences in the gains from acquisitions within and outside the eurozone. These results are consistent with increased competition among bidders and increased integration of the market in the eurozone area in the post-euro era. However, differing results relating to focused and diversifying bids suggest that the level of market integration is sector dependent." Copyright (c) 2007 The Authors Journal compilation (c) 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Financial Management Association in its journal European Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 15 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1354-7798
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jens Hagendorff & Ignacio Hernando & Maria J. Nieto & Larry D. Wall, 2010.
"What do premiums paid for bank M&As reflect? the case of the European Union,"
2010-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Hagendorff, Jens & Hernando, Ignacio & Nieto, Maria J. & Wall, Larry D., 2012. "What do premiums paid for bank M&As reflect? The case of the European Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 749-759.
- Jens Hagendorff & Ignacio Hernando & María J. Nieto & Larry D. Wall, 2010. "What do premiums paid for bank M&As reflect? The case of the European Union," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1011, Banco de Espa�a.
- Gu, Lulu & Reed, W. Robert, 2013.
"Information asymmetry, market segmentation, and cross-listing: Implications for event study methodology,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 28-40.
- Lulu Gu & W. Robert Reed, 2012. "Information Asymmetry, Market Segmentation and Cross-Listing: Implicatons for Event Study Methodology," Working Papers in Economics 12/08, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Lulu Gu & W. Robert Reed, 2011. "One For All or All For One? Using Multiple-listing Information in Event Studies," Working Papers in Economics 11/33, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Robert DeYoung & Douglas Evanoff & Philip Molyneux, 2009. "Mergers and Acquisitions of Financial Institutions: A Review of the Post-2000 Literature," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 87-110, December.
- Anton, Sorin Gabriel & Avadanei, Andreea, 2010. "The implications of European retail banking integration on small and medium-sized enterprises financing. An overview," MPRA Paper 28660, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gropp, Reint Eberhard & Kashyap, Anil K., 2008.
"A New Metric for Banking Integration in Europe,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
08-102, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Vallascas, Francesco & Hagendorff, Jens, 2011. "The impact of European bank mergers on bidder default risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 902-915, April.
- Dudouet, François-Xavier & Grémont, Eric & Vion, Antoine, 2009. "Core Business Network in the Eurozone," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5417, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.