Shareholder Value Creation in European M&As
AbstractThis Paper looks at the value generated to shareholders by the announcement of mergers and acquisitions involving firms in the European Union over the period 1998-2000. Cumulative abnormal shareholder returns due to the announcement of a merger reflect a revision of the expected value resulting from future synergies or wealth redistribution among stakeholders. Target firm shareholders receive on average a statistically significant cumulative abnormal return of 9% in a one-month window centred on the announcement date. Acquirers’ cumulative abnormal returns are null on average. When distinguishing in terms of the geographical and sectoral dimensions of the merger deals, our main finding is that mergers in industries that had previously been under government control or that are still heavily regulated generate lower value than M&A announcements in unregulated industries. This low value creation in regulated industries becomes significantly negative when the merger involves two firms from different countries and is primarily due to the lower positive return that shareholders of the target firm enjoy upon the announcement of the merger. This evidence is consistent with the existence of obstacles (such as cultural, legal, or transaction barriers) to the successful conclusion of this type of transaction, which lessen the probability of the merger actually being completed as announced and, therefore, reduce its expected value.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 4400.
Date of creation: Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Campa, Jose Manuel & Hernando, Ignacio, 2006.
"M&As performance in the European financial industry,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3367-3392, December.
- José Manuel Campa & Ignacio Hernando, 2005. "M&As performance in the European financial industry," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0516, Banco de Espa�a.
- Campa, Jose M. & Hernando, Ignacio, 2005. "M&AS performance in the European financial industry," IESE Research Papers D/588, IESE Business School.
- Campa, José Manuel & Hernando, Ignacio, 2005. "M&As Performance in the European Financial Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 5204, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John J. García and Francesc Trillas, 2012.
"Regulatory Reform and Corporate Control in European Energy Industries,"
RSCAS Working Papers
2012/30, European University Institute.
- John J. García & Francesc Trillas, 2012. "Regulatory Reform and Corporate Control in European Energy Industries," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF 010664, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Szilagyi, P.G., 2006.
"How do Mergers and Acquisitions Affect Bondholders in Europe? Evidence on the Impact and Spillover of Governance and Legal Standards,"
2006-55, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Szilagyi, P.G., 2006. "How do Mergers and Acquisitions Affect Bondholders in Europe? Evidence on the Impact and Spillover of Governance and Legal Standards," Discussion Paper 2006-011, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Moshfique Uddin & Agyenim Boateng, 2009. "An analysis of short-run performance of cross-border mergers and acquisitions: Evidence from the UK acquiring firms," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(4), pages 431-453, November.
- John J. García & Francesc Trillas, 2011.
"Control corporativo y riqueza de los accionistas en el sector eléctrico europeo (2000-2007),"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF
010660, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- John García & Francesc Trillas, 2011. "Control corporativo y riqueza de los accionistas en el sector eléctrico europeo (2000-2007)," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 13(25), pages 297-319, July-Dece.
- Joseph H. Golec & John A. Vernon, 2006. "European Pharmaceutical Price Regulation, Firm Profitability, and R&D Spending," NBER Working Papers 12676, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nihat Aktas & Eric de Bodt & Laurent Liagre, 2006. "Le décollage d'EADS:le point de vue des marchés financiers," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 9(1), pages 5-34, March.
- Dennis C. Mueller & B. Burcin Yurtoglu, 2007. "Corporate governance and the returns to acquiring firms' shareholders: an international comparison," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(8), pages 879-896.
- Massimiliano Affinito & Matteo Piazza, 2008. "What are borders made of? An analysis of barriers to European banking integration," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 666, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- José M. Campa & Ignacio Hernando, 2007.
"The reaction by industry insiders to M&As in the European financial industry,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0713, Banco de Espa�a.
- Campa, Jose M. & Hernando, Ignacio, 2007. "The reaction by industry insiders to M&As in the European financial industry," IESE Research Papers D/689, IESE Business School.
- Díaz Díaz, Belén & Sanfilippo Azofra, Sergio & López Gutiérrez, Carlos, 2013. "Synergies or overpayment in European corporate M&A," MPRA Paper 51070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gerhard Wörtche & Tristan Nguyen, 2011. "The impact of M&A transactions from private equity and hedge funds: Empirical evidence from Austria and Switzerland," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(1), pages 45-57, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.