The implications of European retail banking integration on small and medium-sized enterprises financing. An overview
AbstractConsidering the last few years, the European Union (EU) has became one of the most competitive and integrated economic regions of the world, following a rapid pace of change as a result of an inspired series of initiatives. The harmonization of the banking and other financial services legislation as component of the EU’ Single Market, the creation of the European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU), alongside the ongoing implementation of the Financial Services Action Plan (FSAP) represent the central drivers of financial integration and the set of elements that have helped reducing the barriers to cross-border trade in banking services. The process of deregulation is another element that facilitated the environment in which technology and other bank strategic determinants have become increasingly important. The scope of the present paper is to analyze the implications of a higher degree of banking integration on firms financing options and choices. This paper is composed of two main parts. The first part focuses to the determinants of European banking integration, analyzing this process since the banking system represents the main financial channel for both the small and medium-sized enterprises and households. The second part concentrates on the effects of banking integration on considered entities’ financial constraints. The concluding remarks outline that retail bank integration has an ambiguous implication on SMEs’ access to credit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 28660.
Date of creation: 09 Apr 2010
Date of revision:
retail banking integration; SMEs; firms’ financing; financial constraints; deregulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-02-19 (Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2011-02-19 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-CIS-2011-02-19 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-HIS-2011-02-19 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wagenvoort, Rien & Ebner, André & Morgese Borys, Magdalena, 2009.
"A factor analysis approch to measuring European loan and bond market integration,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
11071, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Wagenvoort, Rien J.L.M. & Ebner, André & Morgese Borys, Magdalena, 2011. "A factor analysis approach to measuring European loan and bond market integration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 1011-1025, April.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1997.
"Bank consolidation and small business lending: it's not just bank size that matters,"
97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S., 1998. "Bank consolidation and small business lending: It's not just bank size that matters," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 799-819, August.
- Vos, Ed & Yeh, Andy Jia-Yuh & Carter, Sara & Tagg, Stephen, 2007. "The happy story of small business financing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2648-2672, September.
- Philipp Hartmann & Angela Maddaloni & Simone Manganelli, 2003.
"The Euro-area Financial System: Structure, Integration, and Policy Initiatives,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 180-213.
- Manganelli, Simone & Hartmann, Philipp & Maddaloni, Angela, 2003. "The euro area financial system: structure, integration and policy initiatives," Working Paper Series 0230, European Central Bank.
- Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula & Marco Pagano, 2004.
"Financial Market Integration and Economic Growth in the EU,"
CSEF Working Papers
118, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula & Marco Pagano, 2004. "Financial market integration and economic growth in the EU," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 19(40), pages 523-577, October.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario & Pagano, Marco, 2004. "Financial Market Integration and Economic Growth in the EU," CEPR Discussion Papers 4395, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berger, Allen N, et al, 2004. "Bank Concentration and Competition: An Evolution in the Making," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 433-51, June.
- Reint Gropp & Anil K Kashyap, 2010.
"A New Metric for Banking Integration in Europe,"
in: Europe and the Euro, pages 219-246
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reint Gropp & Anil Kashyap, 2009. "A New Metric for Banking Integration in Europe," NBER Working Papers 14735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gropp, Reint Eberhard & Kashyap, Anil K., 2008. "A New Metric for Banking Integration in Europe," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-102, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Wagenvoort, Rien, 2003. "Are finance constraints hindering the growth of SMEs in Europe?," EIB Papers 7/2003, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Kok, Christoffer & Puigvert Gutiérrez, Josep Maria, 2006. "Euro area banking sector integration: using hierarchical cluster analysis techniques," Working Paper Series 0627, European Central Bank.
- Gabriel Pérez Quirós & Hugo Rodríguez, 2000.
"The daily market for funds in Europe: Has something changed with the EMU?,"
Economics Working Papers
474, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Quiro, G.P. & Mendizabal, H.R., 2001. "The Daily Market for Funds in Europe: Has Something Changed with the EMU," Papers 67, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Pérez Quirós, Gabriel & Rodríguez Mendizábal, Hugo, 2001. "The daily market for funds in Europe: Has something changed with the EMU?," Working Paper Series 0067, European Central Bank.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Bruce C. Petersen, 2002. "Is The Growth Of Small Firms Constrained By Internal Finance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 298-309, May.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Maksimovic, V., 2008.
"Financing patterns around the world: Are small firms different?,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3132806, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2008. "Financing patterns around the world: Are small firms different?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 467-487, September.
- Xavier Freixas & Anthony M. Santomero, 2002.
"An overall perspective on banking regulation,"
02-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Cappiello, Lorenzo & Hördahl, Peter & Kadareja, Arjan & Manganelli, Simone, 2006. "The impact of the euro on financial markets," Working Paper Series 0598, European Central Bank.
- Marina Emiris, 2002. "Measuring capital market integration," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market functioning and central bank policy, volume 12, pages 200-221 Bank for International Settlements.
- Schüler, Martin & Heinemann, Friedrich, 2002.
"How integrated are the European retail financial markets? A cointegration analysis,"
3b, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Schüler, Martin, 2002. "How integrated are the European retail financial markets? A cointegration analysis," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-22, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Hans Degryse & Partick Van cayseele, 1998.
"Relationship Lending within a Bank-based System: Evidence from European Small Business Data,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces9816, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Degryse, Hans & Van Cayseele, Patrick, 2000. "Relationship Lending within a Bank-Based System: Evidence from European Small Business Data," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 90-109, January.
- Manapol Ekkayokkaya & Phil Holmes & Krishna Paudyal, 2009. "The Euro and the Changing Face of European Banking: Evidence from Mergers and Acquisitions," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 15(2), pages 451-476.
- Daniel Pérez & Vicente Salas-Fumás & Jesús Saurina, 2005. "Banking integration in Europe," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0519, Banco de Espa�a.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert De Young & Gregory F. Udell, 2001.
"Efficiency Barriers to the Consolidation of the European Financial Services Industry,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 7(1), pages 117-130.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Gregory F. Udell, 2000. "Efficiency barriers to the consolidation of the European financial services industry," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Martynova, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2006.
"Mergers and Acquisitions in Europe,"
2006-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Donald Morgan & Bertrand Rime & Philip Strahan, 2003.
"Bank Integration and State Business Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
9704, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beckmann, Rainer & Eppendorfer, Carsten & Neimke, Markus, 2002. "Market Access Strategies in the EU Banking Sector - Obstacles and Benefits towards an integrated European Retail Market," MPRA Paper 5273, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Philip & Wilson, John O.S. & Tavakoli, Manouche, 2007. "European banking: An overview," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1911-1935, July.
- Emilia Bonaccorsi Di Patti & Giorgio Gobbi, 2007. "Winners or Losers? The Effects of Banking Consolidation on Corporate Borrowers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 669-695, 04.
- Sylvia Heuchemer & Stefanie Kleimeier & Harald Sander, 2009. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Lending in the Euro Zone," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(4), pages 467-499, December.
- Agnes Belaisch & Joaquim Vieira Ferreira Levy & Laura E. Kodres & Angel J. Ubide, 2001. "Euro-Area Banking At the Crossroads," IMF Working Papers 01/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Massimiliano Affinito & Fabio Farabullini, 2009. "Does the Law of One Price Hold in Euro-Area Retail Banking? An Empirical Analysis of Interest Rate Differentials across the Monetary Union," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(1), pages 5-37, March.
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 1999. "European lessons on consolidation in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 609-613, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.