EFR 2009-01 A factor analysis approach to measuring European loan and bond market integration
AbstractBy using an existing and a new convergence measure, this paper assesses whether bank loan and bond interest rates are converging for the non-financial corporate sector across the euro area. Whilst we find evidence for complete bond market integration, the market for bank loans remains segmented, albeit to various degrees depending on the type and size of the loan. Factor analysis reveals that rates on large loans and small loans with long rate fixation periods have weakly converged in the sense that, up to a fixed effect, their evolution is driven by common factors only. In contrast, the price evolution of small loans with short rate fixation periods is still affected by country-specific dynamic factors. There are few signs that bank loan rates are becoming more uniform with time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Investment Bank, Economics Department in its series Economic and Financial Reports with number 2009/1.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 30 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 100, boulevard Konrad Adenauer, L-2950 Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 43 79 1
Fax: (+352) 43 79 68 895
Web page: http://www.eib.org/efs/
More information through EDIRC
financial market integration; corporate loan; corporate bond; panel unit root test; factor analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-04-17 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2010-04-17 (European Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reint Gropp & Anil Kashyap, 2009.
"A New Metric for Banking Integration in Europe,"
NBER Working Papers
14735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Degryse, Hans & Van Cayseele, Patrick, 2000.
"Relationship Lending within a Bank-Based System: Evidence from European Small Business Data,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 90-109, January.
- Hans Degryse & Partick Van cayseele, 1998. "Relationship Lending within a Bank-based System: Evidence from European Small Business Data," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces9816, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2006.
"Regional versus global integration of euro-zone retail banking markets: Understanding the recent evidence from price-based integration measures,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 353-368, July.
- Kleimeier,Stefanie & Sander,Harald, 2005. "Regional Versus Global Integration of Euro Zone Retail Banking Markets: Understanding the Recent Evidence from Price-Based Integration Measures," Research Memorandum 031, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003.
"Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union,"
15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004. "Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- M. van Leuvensteijn & C. Kok SÃ¸rensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2008.
"Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area,"
08-08, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Christoffer Kok S�rensen & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2013. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(11), pages 1359-1380, April.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Christoffer Kok Sørensen & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0828, Banco de Espa�a.
- M. van leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sorensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," DNB Working Papers 171, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sorensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," CPB Discussion Paper 103, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Kok, Christoffer & Bikker, Jacob A. & Van Rixtel, Adrian, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0885, European Central Bank.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000.
"Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999. "Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data," Research Papers 1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Tom Doan, . "HADRI: RATS procedure to implement Hadri test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00084, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Donald Rubin & Dorothy Thayer, 1982. "EM algorithms for ML factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 69-76, March.
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Paul Schure & Dermot O'Brien & Rien Wagenvoort, 2002.
"The Efficiency and the Conduct of European Banks: Developments after 1992,"
EUI-RSCAS Working Papers
60, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Schure, Paul & Wagenvoort, Rien & O'Brien, Dermot, 2004. "The efficiency and the conduct of European banks: Developments after 1992," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 371-396.
- Wagenvoort, Rien, 2003. "Are finance constraints hindering the growth of SMEs in Europe?," EIB Papers 7/2003, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Bruce C. Petersen, 2002. "Is The Growth Of Small Firms Constrained By Internal Finance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 298-309, May.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- K. Jöreskog, 1969. "A general approach to confirmatory maximum likelihood factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 183-202, June.
- Giampaolo Gabbi & Andrea Sironi, 2005. "Which factors affect corporate bonds pricing? Empirical evidence from eurobonds primary market spreads," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 59-74.
- Casu, Barbara & Girardone, Claudia & Molyneux, Philip, 2004. "Productivity change in European banking: A comparison of parametric and non-parametric approaches," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2521-2540, October.
- Melnik, Arie & Nissim, Doron, 2006. "Issue costs in the Eurobond market: The effects of market integration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 157-177, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.