Interest Rate Pass-through in the EMU: New Evidence from Nonlinear Cointegration Techniques for Fully Harmonized Data
AbstractThis study puts the monetary transmission process in the eurozone between 2003 and 2011 under closer scrutiny. For this purpose, we investigate the interest rate pass-through from money market to various loan rates for up to twelve countries of the European Monetary Union. Applying different cointegration techniques, we first test for a long-run relationship between loan rates and the Euro OverNight Index Average (EONIA). Based on these findings, we allow for different nonlinear patterns for short-run dynamics of loan rates. Our investigation contributes to the literature in mainly two ways. On the one hand, we use fully harmonized data stemming from the ECB's MFI interest rate statistics. In addition, we consider smooth transition models as an extension of conventional threshold models. Our results point to considerable differences in the size of the pass-through with respect to either different loan rates or countries. In the majority of cases, the pass-through is incomplete and the dynamics of loans adjustment are different for reductions and hikes of money market rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research in its series Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin with number 1223.
Length: 27 p.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
interest rate pass-through; EMU; cointegration; ARDL bounds testing; smooth transition models;
Other versions of this item:
- Ansgar Belke & Joscha Beckmann & Florian Verheyen, 2012. "Interest Rate Pass-Through in the EMU – New Evidence from Nonlinear Cointegration Techniques for Fully Harmonized Data," Ruhr Economic Papers 0350, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwapil, Claudia & Scharler, Johann, 2010.
"Interest rate pass-through, monetary policy rules and macroeconomic stability,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 236-251, March.
- Claudia Kwapil & Johann Scharler, 2007. "Interest Rate Pass-Through, Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 65, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Claudia Kwapil & Johann Scharler, 2007. "Interest Rate Pass-Through, Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability," Working Papers 118, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Chionis, Dionysios P. & Leon, Costas A., 2006. "Interest rate transmission in Greece: Did EMU cause a structural break?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 453-466, May.
- Peel, David & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Towards a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2658, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taylor, Mark P & Peel, David A & Sarno, Lucio, 2001. "Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Toward a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1015-42, November.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Christoffer Kok S�rensen & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2013.
"Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(11), pages 1359-1380, April.
- M. van Leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sørensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Working Papers 08-08, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Christoffer Kok Sørensen & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0828, Banco de Espa�a.
- M. van leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sorensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," DNB Working Papers 171, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sorensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," CPB Discussion Paper 103, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Kok, Christoffer & Bikker, Jacob A. & Van Rixtel, Adrian, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0885, European Central Bank.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Sander,Harald & Kleimeier,Stefanie, 2003.
"Convergence in Eurozone retail banking? What interest rate pass-through tells us about monetary policy transmission, competition and integration,"
051, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Sander, Harald & Kleimeier, Stefanie, 2004. "Convergence in euro-zone retail banking? What interest rate pass-through tells us about monetary policy transmission, competition and integration," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 461-492, April.
- Carlo Cottarelli & Angeliki Kourelis, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(4), pages 587-623, December.
- Clemens Jobst & Claudia Kwapil, 2008. "The Interest Rate Pass-Through in Austria – Effects of the Financial Crisis," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 54-67, January 2.
- Karagiannis, Stelios & Panagopoulos, Yannis & Vlamis, Prodromos, 2010. "Interest rate pass-through in Europe and the US: Monetary policy after the financial crisis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 323-338, May.
- Gropp, Reint & Kok, Christoffer & Lichtenberger, Jung-Duk, 2007. "The dynamics of bank spreads and financial structure," Working Paper Series 0714, European Central Bank.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Pittis, Nikitas, 1999. " Efficient Estimation of Cointegrating Vectors and Testing for Causality in Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Angeliki Kourelis & Carlo Cottarelli, 1994. "Financial Structure, Bank Lending Rates, and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 94/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Mark Taylor, 2006. "Real exchange rates and Purchasing Power Parity: mean-reversion in economic thought," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 1-17.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Michael Ehrmann, 2003. "Monetary transmission in the euro area: early evidence," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 469-501, October.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2006. "Expected versus unexpected monetary policy impulses and interest rate pass-through in euro-zone retail banking markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1839-1870, July.
- Boris Hofmann, 2006. "EMU and the transmission of monetary policy: evidence from business lending rates," Empirica, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 209-229, September.
- Sander, Harold & Kleimeier, Stefanie, 2002. "Asymmetric adjustment of commercial bank interest rates in the Euro area: An emperical investigation into interest rate pass-through," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15177, Maastricht University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.