AbstractWe use cooperative game theory to analyze the strategic impact of three controversial pipeline projects. Two of them, Nord Stream and South Stream, allow Russian gas to bypass transit countries, Ukraine and Belarus. Nord Stream’s strategic value turns out to be huge, justifying the high investment cost for Germany and Russia. The additional leverage obtained through South Stream, in contrast, appears small. The third project, Nabucco, aims at diversifying Europe’s gas imports by accessing producers in Middle East and Central Asia. The project has a large potential to curtail Russia’s power, but the benefits accrue mainly to Turkey, while the gains for the EU are negligible.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FIW in its series FIW Working Paper series with number 093.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: FIW Project Office Austrian Institute of Economic Research Arsenal Objekt 20 A-1030 Vienna
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- L9 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities
- O22 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Project Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2012-05-29 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-ENE-2012-05-29 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2012-05-29 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-GTH-2012-05-29 (Game Theory)
- NEP-PPM-2012-05-29 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-TRA-2012-05-29 (Transition Economics)
- NEP-TRE-2012-05-29 (Transport Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Game theory with pipelines
by Economic Logician in Economic Logic on 2012-06-21 14:54:00
by himaginary in himaginaryの日記 on 2012-06-22 07:00:00
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.