Subsistence Agriculture in Transition Economies: its Roles and Determinants
AbstractIn line with recent suggestions about the potential positive effects of subsistence agriculture in fragile economies, this paper discusses and explains the effects of subsistence agriculture with emphasis on transition countries. Some micro-economic models of subsistence agriculture are reviewed and a two-stage decision model, combining risk aversion and transaction costs explanations for subsistence is put forward. The role of subsistence agriculture is addressed in terms of a static comparison to a commercial only agriculture. It is shown that, under some conditions, subsistence can play a stabilising role and have positive impacts on total agriculture. Employing the concept of a subsistence level of consumption, the paper demonstrates that these static effects can be valid in a dynamic perspective, provided additional conditions are met. Policy recommendations and a future research agenda with regard to possible agricultural commercialisation are drawn from the analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0410004.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 04 Oct 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 33
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Other versions of this item:
- Philip Kostov & John Lingard, 2004. "Subsistence Agriculture in Transition Economies: Its Roles and Determinants," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 565-579.
- P - Economic Systems
- Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
- Z - Other Special Topics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Caskie, 2000. "Back to Basics: Household Food Production in Russia," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 196-209.
- Sharif, Mohammed, 1986. "The Concept and measurement of subsistence: A survey of the literature," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 555-577, May.
- Brown, Donald J & Heal, Geoffrey, 1979.
"Equity, Efficiency, and Increasing Returns,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 571-85, October.
- Ben-David, Dan, 1997.
"Convergence Clubs and Subsistence Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1745, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aaron S. Edlin & Mario Epelbaum & Walter P. Heller, 1998. "Is Perfect Price Discrimination Really Efficient?: Welfare and Existence in General Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 897-922, July.
- Adam Ozanne, 1999. "Perverse supply response in peasant agriculture: A review," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 27(2), pages 251-270.
- Nigel Key & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Alain De Janvry, 2000. "Transactions Costs and Agricultural Household Supply Response," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 245-259.
- C. Peter Timmer, 1997. "Farmers and Markets: The Political Economy of New Paradigms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 621-627.
- Plamen Mishev & Philip Kostov, 2004. "Decision making pattern of subsistence farmers in Bulgaria," Others 0409012, EconWPA.
- Philip Kostov, 2004. "Transition, agricultural decommercialisation, and their implications for quantitative modelling," Others 0409008, EconWPA.
- Seeth, Harm Tho & Chachnov, Sergei & Surinov, Alexander & Von Braun, Joachim, 1998. "Russian poverty: Muddling through economic transition with garden plots," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(9), pages 1611-1624, September.
- Hans L�fgren & Sherman Robinson, 1999. "Nonseparable Farm Household Decisions in a Computable General Equilibrium Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 663-670.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766.
- Sarris, Alexander H & Doucha, Tomas & Mathijs, Erik, 1999. "Agricultural Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe: Implications for Competitiveness and Rural Development," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 305-29, August.
- Dehez, Pierre & Dreze, Jacques, 1988. "Competitive equilibria with quantity-taking producers and increasing returns to scale," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 209-230, April.
- Sauer, Johannes & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2009. "Determinants of the Fallowing Decision in Kosovo," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51072, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Sauer, Johannes & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2009. "Determinants for fallowing land: The case of Kosovo," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51626, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kan, Iddo & Kimhi, Ayal & Lerman, Zvi, 2006.
"Farm Output, Non-Farm Income, And Commercialization In Rural Georgia,"
7179, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Kan, Iddo & Kimhi, Ayal & Lerman, Zvi, 2006. "Farm Output, Non-Farm Income, and Commercialization in Rural Georgia," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 3(2).
- Iddo Kan & Ayal Kimhi & Zvi Lerman, 2006. "Farm output, non-farm income and commercialization in rural Georgia," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 3(2), pages 276-286.
- Latruffe, Laure & Davidova, Sophia & Desjeux, Yann, 2008. "Perpetuation of subsistence farming in Western Balkans: the role of factor market imperfections," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 36860, Agricultural Economics Society.
- G. Page West III & Charles E. Bamford & Jesse W. Marsden, 2008. "Contrasting Entrepreneurial Economic Developments in Less-Developed Latin American Markets: Applications and Extensions of Resource-Based Theory," Discussion Paper Series 2008-03, McColl School of Business, Queens University of Charlotte.
- Wolz, Axel & Fritzsch, Jana & Shterev, Nikolai & Buchenrieder, Gertrud & Paloma, Sergio Gomez y, 0. "Semi-Subsistence Farming, Farm Income and Social Capital in Bulgaria â€“ Is there a Link?," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, vol. 49.
- Kostov, Philip & Lingard, John, 2005. "Disentangling the Social and Economic Dimensions of Agricultural Behaviour: What Role for Institutions and Social Capital?," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24436, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.