Bayesian Modelling of Catch in a Northwest Atlantic Fishery
AbstractWe model daily catches of fishing boats in the Grand Bank fishing grounds. We use data on catches per species for a number of vessels collected by the European Union in the context of the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization. Many variables can be thought to influence the amount caught: a number of ship characteristics (such as the size of the ship, the fishing technique used, the mesh size of the nets, etc.), are obvious candidates, but one can also consider the season or the actual location of the catch. Our database leads to 28 possible regressors (arising from six continuous variables and four categorical variables, whose 22 levels are treated separately), resulting in a set of 177 million possible linear regression models for the log of catch. Zero observations are modelled separately through a probit model. Inference is based on Bayesian model averaging, using a Markov chain Monte Carlo approach. Particular attention is paid to prediction of catch for single and aggregated ships.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 0110003.
Date of creation: 06 Oct 2001
Date of revision: 18 Nov 2001
Note: Type of Document - Tex; prepared on MacOS, TeXtures; to print on any printer; figures: included. Revised for JRSS-C- (Applied Statistics). Data and f77 code available from:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Bayesian Model Averaging; Choice of Regressors; Bayesian model averaging; Categorical variables; Grand Bank fishery; Modelling Fish Catch; Predictive inference; Probit model;
Other versions of this item:
- Carmen Fernández & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, 2002. "Bayesian modelling of catch in a north-west Atlantic fishery," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 51(3), pages 257-280.
- Carmen Fernandez & E. Ley & M. F. J. Steel, 2004. "Bayesian modelling of catch in a Northwest Atlantic Fishery," ESE Discussion Papers 67, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-10-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2001-10-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2001-10-09 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Min, C.K. & Zellner, A., 1992.
""Bayesian and Non-Bayesian Methods for Combining Models and Forecasts with Applications to Forecasting International Growth Rates","
90-92-23, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Min, Chung-ki & Zellner, Arnold, 1993. "Bayesian and non-Bayesian methods for combining models and forecasts with applications to forecasting international growth rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 89-118, March.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 1998.
"Benchmark Priors for Bayesian Model Averaging,"
9804001, EconWPA, revised 31 Jul 1999.
- Eva Ferreira & Fernando Tusell, 1996. "Un modelo aditivo semiparamétrico para estimación de capturas: el caso de las pesquerías de Terranova," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 20(1), pages 143-157, January.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, 2001.
"Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 563-576.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 1999. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 9903003, EconWPA, revised 06 Oct 2001.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 2001. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 0110002, EconWPA.
- Enrique Moral-Benito, 2010.
"Model Averaging In Economics,"
- repec:ags:mareec:7041 is not listed on IDEAS
- Irwin Guttman & Daniel Peña & M Dolores Redondas, 2003. "A Bayesian Approach for Predicting with Polynomial Regresión of Unknown Degree," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws032104, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Theo Eicher & Jeff Begun, 2008. "In Search of a Sulphur Dioxide Environmental Kuznets Curve: A Bayesian Model Averaging Approach," Working Papers UWEC-2007-19-P, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.