Statistical Modeling of Fishing Activities in the North Atlantic
AbstractThis paper deals with the issue of modeling daily catches of fishing boats in the Grand Bank fishing grounds. We have data on catches per species for a number of vessels collected by the European Union in the context of the North Atlantic Fisheries Organization. Many variables can be thought to influence the amount caught: a number of ship characteristics ---such as the size of the ship, the fishing technique used, the mesh size of the nets, etc.---, are obvious candidates, but one can also consider the season or the actual location of the catch. In all, our database leads to 23 possible regressors, resulting in a set of $8.4\times 10^6$ possible linear regression models. Prediction of future catches and posterior inference will be based on Bayesian model averaging, using a Markov Chain Monte Carlo Model Composition (MC$^3$) approach. Particular attention is paid to the elicitation of the prior and the prediction of catch for single and aggregated observations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 9712001.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 04 Dec 1997
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Acrobat PDF 3.0; prepared on Textures 1.7, MacOS 8, Acrobat Distiller 3.0; to print on any printer; pages: 22; figures: included. (Data and code will be posted shortly.)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Bayesian model averaging; Grand Bank fisheries; Predictive inference; Prior elicitation;
Other versions of this item:
- Fernández, C. & Ley, E. & Steel, M.F.J., 1997. "Statistical Modelling of Fishing Activities in the North Atlantic," Discussion Paper 1997-111, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Carmen Fernández & Eduardo Ley & Mack F. J. Steel, . "Statistical modeling of fishing activities in the North Atlantic," Working Papers 97-25, FEDEA.
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen Fernández & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, .
"Benchmark priors for Bayesian Model averaging,"
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 1998. "Benchmark Priors for Bayesian Model Averaging," Econometrics 9804001, EconWPA, revised 31 Jul 1999.
- Carmen Fernandez & E Ley & Mark F J Steel, 2004. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian models averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 66, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, 2001.
"Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 563-576.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 2001. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 0110002, EconWPA.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 1999. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 9903003, EconWPA, revised 06 Oct 2001.
- Min, C.K. & Zellner, A., 1992.
""Bayesian and Non-Bayesian Methods for Combining Models and Forecasts with Applications to Forecasting International Growth Rates","
90-92-23, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Min, Chung-ki & Zellner, Arnold, 1993. "Bayesian and non-Bayesian methods for combining models and forecasts with applications to forecasting international growth rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 89-118, March.
- Chib, B. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M., 1990.
"Regression Models Under Competing Covariance Matrices: A Baysian Perspective,"
9063, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Chib, S. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M.F.J., 1990. "Regression models under competing covariance matrices: A Bayesian perspective," Discussion Paper 1990-63, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Eva Ferreira & Fernando Tusell, 1996. "Un modelo aditivo semiparamétrico para estimación de capturas: el caso de las pesquerías de Terranova," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 20(1), pages 143-157, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.