On Autoregressive Order Selection Criteria
AbstractThis study investigates the performance of various commonly applied order selection criteria in selecting order of Autoregressive (AR) process. The most important finding of this study is that Akaike’s information criterion, Schwarz information criterion, Hannan-Quinn criterion, final prediction error and Bayesian information criterion perform considerably well in estimating the true autoregressive order, even in small sample. Besides, there is no significant gain in differentiating these criteria unless one has a considerable large sample size. This study contributes to the empirical literature by providing helpfully guidelines regarding the use of order selection criteria in determining the autoregressive order.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Computational Economics with number 0404001.
Date of creation: 07 Apr 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-04-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-04-11 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-04-11 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tan Hui Boon & Baharumshah Ahmad Zubaidi, 1999. "Dynamic Causal Chain of Money, Output, Interest Rate and Prices in Malaysia: Evidence Based On Vector Error- Correction Modelling Analysis," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 13(1), pages 103-120.
- H. Yamada, 2000. "M2 demand relation and effective exchange rate in Japan: a cointegration analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 229-232.
- Mark P. Taylor, 2003. "Purchasing Power Parity," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 436-452, 08.
- Sarantis, Nicholas, 2001. "Nonlinearities, cyclical behaviour and predictability in stock markets: international evidence," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 459-482.
- Ladislava Grochova & Ludek Kouba, 2011. "Is Elite Political Stability a Necessary Condition for Economic Growth? An Empirical Evidence from the Baltic States," MENDELU Working Papers in Business and Economics 2011-15, Mendel University in Brno, Faculty of Business and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.