Science-technology flows in Spanish regions: an analysis of scientific citations in patents
AbstractMany European Regions with a high aunonomous government degree have done an effort to promote research and technological development (R&D) to achieve welfare and economic growth. In Spain several Regions have organized their efforts in science and technology, but, is really this budget effort been transferred to new technologies adopted by firms? Are science-technology flows increasing? Is there a regional gap between science and technology? Which are the factors determining these differences? In this paper we analyze the role of scientific knowledge to promote technological development in several Spanish Regions. We try to answer amongst other things, the following questions: How is the basic science used by industrial firms? Which are the most dynamic sectors using scientific knowledge? Which are the most demanded scientific fields by private firms? What type of institutions do use the scientific knowledge? Which is the lag time to translate science to technology? The used methodology to explain the link between science and technology is based on scientific inputs in patents, or non-patent citations (NPC). This paper will give an idea about science and technology links. Therefore, it is a good refference for R&D regional development future plans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa02p236.
Date of creation: Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Other versions of this item:
- Acosta, Manuel & Coronado, Daniel, 2003. "Science-technology flows in Spanish regions: An analysis of scientific citations in patents," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1783-1803, December.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengt-ake Lundvall & Bjorn Johnson, 1994. "The Learning Economy," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 23-42.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1998.
"Public research and industrial innovations in Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
98-37, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1999. "Public research and industrial innovations in Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 397-422, April.
- Salter, Ammon J. & Martin, Ben R., 2001. "The economic benefits of publicly funded basic research: a critical review," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 509-532, March.
- Egbert Wever & Erik Stam, 1999. "Clusters of High Technology SMEs: The Dutch Case," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 391-400.
- Etzkowitz, Henry & Leydesdorff, Loet, 2000. "The dynamics of innovation: from National Systems and "Mode 2" to a Triple Helix of university-industry-government relations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 109-123, February.
- Mansfield, Edwin & Lee, Jeong-Yeon, 1996. "The modern university: contributor to industrial innovation and recipient of industrial R&D support," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1047-1058, October.
- Rolf Sternberg & Christine Tamasy, 1999. "Munich as Germany's No. 1 High Technology Region: Empirical Evidence, Theoretical Explanations and the Role of Small Firm/Large Firm Relationships," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 367-377.
- Tijssen, Robert J. W., 2001. "Global and domestic utilization of industrial relevant science: patent citation analysis of science-technology interactions and knowledge flows," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 35-54, January.
- Narin, Francis & Hamilton, Kimberly S. & Olivastro, Dominic, 1997. "The increasing linkage between U.S. technology and public science," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 317-330, October.
- Klevorick, Alvin K. & Levin, Richard C. & Nelson, Richard R. & Winter, Sidney G., 1995.
"On the sources and significance of interindustry differences in technological opportunities,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 185-205, March.
- Alvin K. Klevorick & Richard C. Levin & Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 1993. "On the Sources and Significance of Interindustry Differences in Technological Opportunities," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1052, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2000.
"Technological Enclaves and Industrial Districts: An Analysis of the Regional Distribution of Innovative Activity in Europe,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 97-114.
- R. Paci & S. Usai, 1997. "Technological enclaves and industrial districts. An analysis of the regional distributions of innovative activity in Europe," Working Paper CRENoS 199708, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 1998. "Technological enclaves and industrial districts: An analysis of the regional distribution of innovative activity in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa98p461, European Regional Science Association.
- Carpenter, Mark P. & Narin, Francis, 1983. "Validation study: Patent citations as indicators of science and foreign dependence," World Patent Information, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 180-185.
- Anselin, Luc & Varga, Attila & Acs, Zoltan, 1997. "Local Geographic Spillovers between University Research and High Technology Innovations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 422-448, November.
- Tijssen, Robert J. W., 2002. "Science dependence of technologies: evidence from inventions and their inventors," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 509-526, May.
- Meyer, Martin, 2000. "Does science push technology? Patents citing scientific literature," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 409-434, March.
- Godin, Benoit, 1996. "Research and the practice of publication in industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 587-606, June.
- McMillan, G. Steven & Narin, Francis & Deeds, David L., 2000. "An analysis of the critical role of public science in innovation: the case of biotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-8, January.
- Meyer-Krahmer, Frieder & Schmoch, Ulrich, 1998. "Science-based technologies: university-industry interactions in four fields," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 835-851, December.
- van Vianen, B. G. & Moed, H. F. & van Raan, A. F. J., 1990. "An exploration of the science base of recent technology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 61-81, February.
- Raquel Ortega Argiles & Rosina Moreno Serrano & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 2004.
"Ownership structure and innovation: Is there a real link,"
Working Papers in Economics
111, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Raquel Ortega-Argilés & Rosina Moreno & Jordi Caralt, 2005. "Ownership structure and innovation: is there a real link?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 637-662, December.
- Raquel Ortega & Rosina Moreno & Jordi Surinach, 2003. "Ownership Structure and Innovation: Is There a Real Link?," ERSA conference papers ersa03p213, European Regional Science Association.
- R. Paci & S. Usai, 2007.
"Knowledge flows across European regions,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200704, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- María Dolores Leon Rodriguez & Ana María Fernandez Perez, 2008. "Las relaciones ciencia-tecnología en Andalucía. Un análisis a través de las citas científicas en las patentes andaluzas," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 2, pages 159-184.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.