Identifying supply-side constraints to export performance in Ecuador : an exercise with Investment Climate Survey data
AbstractThe authors apply a Heckman selection model to the 2003 Investment Climate Survey (ICS) to investigate supply-side constraints to export performance at the firm level in Ecuador. To correct for the non-random truncation problems, they use the Heckman selection model to estimate the probability of exporting (export propensity) and the share of total sales that are exported (export intensity) by Ecuadorian firms. They develop a baseline model with 12 independent variables divided into three categories-idiosyncratic characteristics, technology, and business environment. The authors develop three other models with the addition of variables related to trade integration, business environment, and infrastructure. Results corroborate with the hypothesis implicit in the Heckman model, which considers both decisions made by a firm-whether to export, and how much of its sales to export-to be interdependent. In the Ecuadorian case, they find three important results for the firm's export performance: technology matters; infrastructure does not; and trade orientation is significant, with specialized firms tending to have smaller export intensity when their main trade partners are countries of the Andean Community, and the opposite happening if the United States is their main trade partner. The authors find a robust and stable relationship for export propensity and intensity with size, import of inputs, labor regulations, in-house research and development, quality certification, web-use, and foreign ownership. Also, capacity utilization and trade with the United States positively affect export intensity, while trade within the Andean Community has the opposite effect in the outcome variable. But they find no significant relationship for the infrastructure variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4179.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Free Trade; Private Participation in Infrastructure; Microfinance; Small Scale Enterprise; Markets and Market Access;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-03-31 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2007-03-31 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lefebvre, Elisabeth & Lefebvre, Louis A & Bourgault, Mario, 1998. " R&D-Related Capabilities as Determinants of Export Performance," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 365-77, June.
- Greenaway, David & Sousa, Nuno & Wakelin, Katharine, 2004. "Do domestic firms learn to export from multinationals?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 1027-1043, November.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 355-74, June.
- Eric Ramstetter, 1999. "Trade Propensities and Foreign Ownership Shares in Indonesian Manufacturing," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 43-66.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2003.
"Export Behavior and Firm productivity in German Manufacturing. A Firm-Level Analysis,"
Development Working Papers
184, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2005. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A Firm-Level Analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(2), pages 219-243, July.
- Arnold, Jens Matthias & Hussinger, Katrin, 2004. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A Firm-level Analysis," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-12, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2004. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A firm-level analysis," International Trade 0403007, EconWPA, revised 02 Nov 2004.
- Helpman, E., 1998.
"The Structure of Foreign Trade,"
18-98, Tel Aviv.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1998. "The Structure of Foreign Trade," NBER Working Papers 6752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1998. "The Structure of Foreign Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 2020, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1998. "The Structure of Foreign Trade," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1848, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony Venables, 2004.
"Geography and Export Performance: External Market Access and Internal Supply Capacity,"
in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 95-130
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Redding, Stephen J & Venables, Anthony J., 2003. "Geography and Export Performance: External Market Access and Internal Supply Capacity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3807, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2003. "Geography and Export Performance: External Market Access and Internal Supply Capacity," NBER Working Papers 9637, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roper, Stephen & Love, James H., 2002. "Innovation and export performance: evidence from the UK and German manufacturing plants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1087-1102, September.
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Escribano, Alvaro & Guasch, J. Luis, 2005. "Assessing the impact of the investment climate on productivity using firm-level data : methodology and the cases of Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3621, The World Bank.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Stefania Rossi, 2000. "The Positive Effect of Industrial District on the Export Performance of Italian Firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 53-68, February.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Smarzynska Javorcik, Beata, 2004.
"Policies facilitating firm adjustment to globalization,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3441, The World Bank.
- Bernard Hoekman, 2004. "Policies Facilitating Firm Adjustment to Globalization," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 457-473, Autumn.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Smarzynska Javorcik, Beata, 2004. "Policies Facilitating Firm Adjustment to Globalization," CEPR Discussion Papers 4692, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Foroutan, Faezeh, 1998. "Does membership in a regional preferential trade arrangement make a country more or less protectionist?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1898, The World Bank.
- Bernard, A., 1997.
"Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?,"
97-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Bradford Jensen, J., 1999. "Exceptional exporter performance: cause, effect, or both?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," NBER Working Papers 6272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manoj Pant, 1993. "Export performance, Transnational Corporations and the Manufacturing Sector: A Case Study of India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 41-54, January.
- Romijn, Henny, 1997. "Acquisition of technological capability in development: A quantitative case study of Pakistan's capital goods sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 359-377, March.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Sterlacchini, Alessandro, 1999.
"Do innovative activities matter to small firms in non-R&D-intensive industries? An application to export performance,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 819-832, November.
- Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 1998. "Do innovative activities matter to small firms in non-R&D-intensive industries? An application to export performances," Working Papers 109, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2001. "Firm Size, Technological Capabilities and Market-Oriented Policies in Mauritius," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 1, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Clarke, George R.G., 2001. "Bridging the digital divide - how enterprise ownership and foreign competition affect Internet access in Eastern Europe and Central Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2629, The World Bank.
- James Tobin, 1956. "Estimation of Relationships for Limited Dependent Variables," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 3R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Faezeh Foroutan, 1998. "Does Membership in a Regional Preferential Trade Arrangement Make a Country More or Less Protectionist?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 305-335, 05.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- Andrew Bernard & Joachim Wagner, 1997.
"Exports and success in German manufacturing,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 134-157, March.
- Martin Boileau & Michel Normandin, 1999. "Capacity Utilization and the Dynamics of Business Cycle Fluctuations," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 92, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Bleaney, Michael & Wakelin, Katherine, 2002. " Efficiency, Innovation and Exports," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(1), pages 3-15, February.
- Fredrik Sjöholm, 2003.
"Which Indonesian firms export? The importance of foreign networks,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 82(3), pages 333-350, September.
- Fredrik Sjöholm, 2003. "Which Indonesian firms export? The importance of foreign networks," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 82(3), pages 333-350, September.
- Rosenberg, Nathan, 1969. "The Direction of Technological Change: Inducement Mechanisms and Focusing Devices," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(1), pages 1-24, Part I Oc.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus, 1996. "The relation between firm-specific intangibles and exports," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 213-219, November.
- Rosenberg, Nathan, 1974. "Science, Invention and Economic Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 84(333), pages 90-108, March.
- Nassimbeni, Guido, 2001. "Technology, innovation capacity, and the export attitude of small manufacturing firms: a logit/tobit model," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 245-262, February.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi, 1992. "On the Relationship Between Firm Size and Export Intensity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 605-635, December.
- Gozde Isik & Yutaka Yoshino, 2010. "Patterns of Foreign Direct Investment Flows and Trade-Investment Inter-Linkages in Southern Africa : Linking Middle-Income and Low-Income Neighbors," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12990, The World Bank.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Srholec, Martin & Verspagen, Bart, 2009.
"Innovation and Economic Development,"
MERIT Working Papers
032, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2012. "Innovation, learning, and exporting in China: Does R&D or a technology index matter?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 224-233.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2013. "Understanding Innovation in Production Networks in East Asia," ADBI Working Papers 410, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Edwards, Lawrence & Balchin, Neil, 2008. "Trade related business climate and manufacturing export performance in Africa: A firm-level analysis," MPRA Paper 32863, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2012. "Do Exporting Firms in the People’s Republic of China Innovate?," ADBI Working Papers 365, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Keshari, Pradeep Kumar, 2013. "Comparative performance of foreign affiliates and domestic firms in the Indian machinery industry," MPRA Paper 33076, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Apr 2013.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2008. "FDI and Innovation as Drivers of Export Behaviour: Firm-level Evidence from East Asia," MERIT Working Papers 061, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Marcelo José Braga Nonnenberg & Ana Paula Avellar, 2014. "Exportações E Processos Inovativos: Umestudo Para América Latina E Europa Do Leste," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 105, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Hoekstra, Ruth, 2013. "Boosting Manufacturing Firms' Exports? The role of trade facilitation in Africa," IEE Working Papers 197, Institut fuer Entwicklungsforschung und Entwicklungspolitik, Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum.
- Keshari, Pradeep Kumar, 2012. "FDI and firm level export competitiveness in the Indian machinery industry," MPRA Paper 47069, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.