Firm Size, Technological Capabilities and Market-oriented Policies in Mauritius
AbstractMauritius is an outlier in sub-Saharan Africa in terms of its impressive growth in garment exports since it adopted outward-oriented policies in the early 1980s. Little, however, is known about the role of technological factors in the behaviour of Mauritian garment exporters. Using recent methodological developments in the literature on technological capabilities, this paper explores this issue. It constructs a "technology index" and conducts econometric analysis on factors affecting enterprise-level technological development and export performance in a sample of enterprises. Firm size, technical manpower, training expenditures and external technical assistance are positively related to the technology index, suggesting that investments in human capital and information (both facilitated by size) improve technological performance. The technology index and foreign ownership have positive and significant effects on export performance. The technology index is a robust tool of empirical research and can be used to analyse the technological record of enterprises in adjusting countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Oxford Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 30 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CODS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan & Krüger, Jens & Tuazon, Anna Mae, 2013. "Production Networks, Profits, and Innovative Activity: Evidence from Malaysia and Thailand," ADBI Working Papers 406, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ozcelik, Emre & Taymaz, Erol, 2004.
"Does innovativeness matter for international competitiveness in developing countries?: The case of Turkish manufacturing industries,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 409-424, April.
- Emre Özçelik & Erol Taymaz, 2001. "Does Innovativeness Matter for International Competitiveness in Developing Countries? The Case of Turkish Manufacturing Industries," ERC Working Papers 0107, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Jul 2001.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2012. "Innovation, learning, and exporting in China: Does R&D or a technology index matter?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 224-233.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2012. "Do Exporting Firms in the People’s Republic of China Innovate?," ADBI Working Papers 365, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Eleonora Di Maria & Roberto Ganau, 2014. "Driving a firmÕs export propensity and export intensity: the role of experience, innovation, and international marketing strategy," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0175, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Molina-Domene, María A. & Pietrobelli, Carlo, 2012. "Drivers of technological capabilities in developing countries: An econometric analysis of Argentina, Brazil and Chile," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 504-515.
- Gebreeyesus, Mulu, 2009. "Innovation and Microenterprises Growth in Ethiopia," MERIT Working Papers 053, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- World Bank, 2009. "Malaysia - Productivity and Investment Climate Assessment Update," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3127, The World Bank.
- Paul Robson & Charles Akuetteh & Paul Westhead & Mike Wright, 2012. "Innovative opportunity pursuit, human capital and business ownership experience in an emerging region: evidence from Ghana," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 603-625, October.
- Peerally, Jahan Ara & Cantwell, John A, 2012. "Changes in Trade Policies and the Heterogeneity of Domestic and Multinational Firms’ Strategic Response: The Effects on Firm-Level Capabilities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 469-485.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2012. "Engaging Small and Medium Enterprises in Production Networks: Firm-level Analysis of Five ASEAN Economies," ADBI Working Papers 361, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- López Rodríguez, José & García Rodríguez, Rafael M., 2005. "Technology and export behaviour: A resource-based view approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 539-557, October.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2006. "Foreign Ownership, Technological Capabilities and Exports: Evidence from 205 Clothing Firms in Sri Lanka," MERIT Working Papers 032, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Iammarino, Simona & Padilla-Pérez, Ramon & von Tunzelmann, Nick, 2008. "Technological Capabilities and Global-Local Interactions: The Electronics Industry in Two Mexican Regions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1980-2003, October.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2013. "Understanding Innovation in Production Networks in East Asia," ADBI Working Papers 410, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Gebreeyesus, Mulu & Mohnen, Pierre, 2013.
"Innovation Performance and Embeddedness in Networks: Evidence from the Ethiopian Footwear Cluster,"
Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 302-316.
- Gebreeyesus, Mulu & Mohnen, Pierre, 2011. "Innovation performance and embeddedness in networks: evidence from the Ethiopian footwear cluster," MERIT Working Papers 043, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Filippetti, Andrea & Peyrache, Antonio, 2011. "The Patterns of Technological Capabilities of Countries: A Dual Approach using Composite Indicators and Data Envelopment Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1108-1121, July.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2008. "Foreign ownership, technological capabilities and clothing exports in Sri Lanka," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 29-39, February.
- Rasiah, Rajah & Tamale, Henry, 2004. "Productivity, Exports, Skills and Technological Capabilities: A Study of Foreign and Local Manufacturing Firms in Uganda," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 01, United Nations University - INTECH.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.