Explaining Firms' Export Behaviour: The Role of R&D and Spillovers
AbstractWe examine the importance of a firm's own R&D activity and intra-sectoral spillovers on the decision to export and the export intensity using firm level panel data for Spain for the period 1990 to 1998. Our results are in line with preceding findings on the role played by firm-specific variables such as age, firm size, productivity and workers' skills. In addition, we show that export and R&D spillovers, either from MNEs or domestic firms in the sector, have a different impact on Spanish and foreign firms, the latter generally benefiting from positive spillovers. Further evidence shows a larger marginal impact of R&D spillovers on export intensity of Spanish firms exporting to other OECD countries than those exporting to non-OECD nations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2001-12.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-10-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2001-10-16 (Development)
- NEP-TID-2001-10-16 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Bradford Jensen, J., 1999.
"Exceptional exporter performance: cause, effect, or both?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Bernard, A., 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," Working papers 97-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," NBER Working Papers 6272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior," Papers 95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E., 1996.
"Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 345-371, May.
- Brian Aitken & Ann Harrison & Robert E. Lipsey, 1997. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela and the United States," NBER Working Papers 5102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Harrison, A. & Lipsey, R.E., 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Papers 95-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2001. "Multinational Companies and Productivity Spillovers: A Meta-analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F723-39, November.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Ari Kokko & Mario Zejan & Ruben Tansini, 2001. "Trade regimes and spillover effects of FDI: Evidence from Uruguay," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(1), pages 124-149, March.
- Salvador Barrios & Eric Strobl, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and productivity spillovers: Evidence from the Spanish experience," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 459-481, September.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- A Kokko & Ruben Tansini & Mario Zejan, 1995. "Trade regimes and effects of FDI: evidence from Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0695, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2004.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(2), pages 561-569, May.
- Jose Antonio Alonso, 1999. "Growth and the external constraint: lessons from the Spanish case," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(2), pages 245-253.
- Guilkey, David K. & Murphy, James L., 1993. "Estimation and testing in the random effects probit model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 301-317, October.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1998.
" Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 247-77, July.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Salvador Barrios, . "Foreign Direct Investment and Productivity Spillovers," Working Papers 2000-19, FEDEA.
- Girma, Sourafel & Greenaway, David & Wakelin, Katharine, 2001. "Who Benefits from Foreign Direct Investment in the UK?," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(2), pages 119-33, May.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Fernando Fernández-Rodríguez & Christian González-Martel & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, .
"Optimisation of Technical Rules by Genetic Algorithms: Evidence from the Madrid Stock Market,"
- Fernando Fernandez-Rodriguez & Christian Gonzalez-Martel & Simon Sosvilla-Rivero, 2005. "Optimization of technical rules by genetic algorithms: evidence from the Madrid stock market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 773-775.
- Keshari, Pradeep Kumar, 2013.
"Efficiency spillovers from FDI in the Indian machinery industry: a firm-level study using panel data models,"
47070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pradeep Kumar Keshari, 2011. "Efficiency Spillovers from FDI in the Indian Machinery Industry: A Firm Level Study Using Panel Data Models," Working Papers id:4195, eSocialSciences.
- Chiara Franco & Subash Sasidharan, 2009. "MNEs and Export Spillovers : An Analysis of Indian Manufacturing Industries," Trade Working Papers 22938, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2002. "Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Investment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3485, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alyson Ma, 2006. "Export Spillovers to Chinese Firms: Evidence from Provincial Data," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 127-149.
- Blanes-Cristóbal, José Vicente & Dovis, Marion & Milgram-Baleix, Juliette & Moro-Egido, Ana I., 2008.
"Do sunk exporting costs differ among markets? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms,"
Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 110-112, November.
- José Vicente Blanes Cristóbal & Marion Dovis & Juliette Milgram Baleix & Ana I. Moro Egido, 2007. "Do sunk exporting costs differ among markets? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," ThE Papers 07/02, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Castellacci, Fulvio & Fevolden, Arne, 2012. "Capable companies or changing markets? Explaining the export performance of firms in the defence industry," MPRA Paper 36026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Samuel Bentolila & Juan F. Jimeno, . "La reforma de la negociación colectiva en España," Working Papers 2002-03, FEDEA.
- Franco, Chiara & Sasidharan, Subash, 2010. "MNEs, technological efforts and channels of export spillover: An analysis of Indian manufacturing industries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 270-288, September.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2010. "Firm heterogeneity, international cooperations and export participation," MPRA Paper 27585, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Correa, Paulo & Dayoub, Mariam & Francisco, Manuela, 2007. "Identifying supply-side constraints to export performance in Ecuador : an exercise with Investment Climate Survey data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4179, The World Bank.
- Juan Manez & Maria Rochina & Juan Sanchis, 2004. "The decision to export: a panel data analysis for Spanish manufacturing," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(11), pages 669-673.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.