Do sunk exporting costs differ among markets? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms
AbstractIn this paper, we test the hypothesis of sunk exporting costs differing among markets. We use a sample of Spanish firms from Encuesta sobre Estrategias Empresariales (ESEE) for period 1991-2002. Our results confirm the importance of those sunk costs and demonstrate that they differ depending on the market they export to. Although most of the firms exports to developed markets, the costs to enter (and "to re-enter") are greater in those markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada. in its series ThE Papers with number 07/02.
Length: 7 pages
Date of creation: 09 May 2007
Date of revision:
Sunk costs; heterogeneity of firms; Regionalism.;
Other versions of this item:
- Blanes-Cristóbal, José Vicente & Dovis, Marion & Milgram-Baleix, Juliette & Moro-Egido, Ana I., 2008. "Do sunk exporting costs differ among markets? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 110-112, November.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2007-05-19 (International Trade)
- NEP-MIC-2007-05-19 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Salvador Barrios & Holger Goerg & Eric Strobl, 2003.
"Explaining Firms' Export Behaviour: R&D, Spillovers and the Destination Market,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 475-496, 09.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GÖRG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, . "Explaining firms' export behaviour: R&D, spillovers and the destination market," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1654, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Trefler, Daniel, 1995. "The Case of the Missing Trade and Other Mysteries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1029-46, December.
- J Bradford Jensen & Andrew B Bernard, 2001.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
01-05, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Juan A. Máñez & María E. Rochina-Barrachina & Juan A. Sanchis, 2008.
"Sunk Costs Hysteresis in Spanish Manufacturing Exports,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 144(2), pages 272-294, July.
- Juan A. Máñez & Juan A. Sanchis Llopis & María E. Rochina, 2004. "Sunk Costs Hysteresis In Spanish Manufacturing Exports," Working Papers. Serie EC 2004-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Campa, José Manuel, 2000.
"Exchange Rates and Trade: How Important is Hysteresis in Trade?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2606, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Campa, Jose Manuel, 2004. "Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Campa, Jose M., 2000. "Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?," IESE Research Papers D/427, IESE Business School.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- repec:rus:hseeco:122439 is not listed on IDEAS
- Salvador Barrios & Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, . "Explaining Firms' Export Behaviour: The Role of R&D and Spillovers," Working Papers 2001-12, FEDEA.
- José C. Fariñas & Ana Martín-Marcos, 2007. "Exporting and Economic Performance: Firm-level Evidence of Spanish Manufacturing," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 618-646, 04.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011.
"International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," Working Paper Series in Economics 210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Christian Volpe Martincus, 2009.
"SMEs in Argentina: Who are the Exporters,"
2009.88, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Christian Volpe Martincus, 2009. "SMEs in Argentina: Who are the Exporters?," KITeS Working Papers 024, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jun 2009.
- Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano & Christian Volpe Martincus, 2009. "SMEs in Argentina: Who are the Exporters?," Development Working Papers 283, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro & Csizmadia, Péter & Illéssy, Miklós & Makó, Csaba & Miklós Szanyi, 2010. "Foreign Direct Investment, Information Spillover, and Export Decision : The Concentric-Circle Model with Application to Hungarian Firm-Level Data," Discussion Paper Series a527, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Wei, Xuan & Thornsbury, Suzanne, 2011. "Information Cost As A Prior Hurdle to Exporting," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103622, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Fakih, Ali & Ghazalian, Pascal L., 2013. "Why Some Firms Export? An Empirical Analysis for Manufacturing Firms in the MENA Region," IZA Discussion Papers 7172, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gullstrand, Joakim, 2011. "Firm and destination-specific export costs: The case of the Swedish food sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 204-213, April.
- Serti, Francesco & Tomasi, Chiara, 2012. "Self selection among different export markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 102-105.
- Juliette Milgram-Baleix, 2009. "Do Spanish firms learn from firms located nearby?," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2009/09, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angel Solano Garcia.).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.