Do sunk exporting costs differ among markets? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms
AbstractWe test whether sunk exporting costs differ among markets. Our results confirm that during 1990-2002, sunk exporting costs were relevant for Spanish firms, and differed depending on the destination market. Besides, the costs to enter/re-enter were higher in developed markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 101 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Sunk costs Heterogeneity of Firms Export Regionalism Developed and Developing Markets;
Other versions of this item:
- José Vicente Blanes Cristóbal & Marion Dovis & Juliette Milgram Baleix & Ana I. Moro Egido, 2007. "Do sunk exporting costs differ among markets? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," ThE Papers 07/02, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:rus:hseeco:122439 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2004.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(2), pages 561-569, May.
- Juan A. Máñez & María E. Rochina-Barrachina & Juan A. Sanchis, 2008.
"Sunk Costs Hysteresis in Spanish Manufacturing Exports,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 144(2), pages 272-294, July.
- Juan A. Máñez & Juan A. Sanchis Llopis & María E. Rochina, 2004. "Sunk Costs Hysteresis In Spanish Manufacturing Exports," Working Papers. Serie EC 2004-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- José C. Fariñas & Ana Martín-Marcos, 2007. "Exporting and Economic Performance: Firm-level Evidence of Spanish Manufacturing," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 618-646, 04.
- Salvador Barrios & Holger Goerg & Eric Strobl, 2003.
"Explaining Firms' Export Behaviour: R&D, Spillovers and the Destination Market,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 475-496, 09.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GÖRG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, . "Explaining firms' export behaviour: R&D, spillovers and the destination market," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1654, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- Campa, Jose M., 2000.
"Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/427, IESE Business School.
- Campa, Jose Manuel, 2004. "Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Campa, José Manuel, 2000. "Exchange Rates and Trade: How Important is Hysteresis in Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2606, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Trefler, Daniel, 1995. "The Case of the Missing Trade and Other Mysteries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1029-46, December.
- Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano & Christian Volpe Martincus, 2009.
"SMEs in Argentina: Who are the Exporters?,"
Development Working Papers
283, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Christian Volpe Martincus, 2009. "SMEs in Argentina: Who are the Exporters?," KITeS Working Papers 024, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jun 2009.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Christian Volpe Martincus, 2009. "SMEs in Argentina: Who are the Exporters," Working Papers 2009.88, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Serti, Francesco & Tomasi, Chiara, 2012. "Self selection among different export markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 102-105.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011.
"International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," Working Paper Series in Economics 210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Fakih, Ali & Ghazalian, Pascal L., 2013. "Why Some Firms Export? An Empirical Analysis for Manufacturing Firms in the MENA Region," IZA Discussion Papers 7172, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gullstrand, Joakim, 2011. "Firm and destination-specific export costs: The case of the Swedish food sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 204-213, April.
- Wei, Xuan & Thornsbury, Suzanne, 2011. "Information Cost As A Prior Hurdle to Exporting," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103622, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro & Csizmadia, Péter & Illéssy, Miklós & Makó, Csaba & Miklós Szanyi, 2010. "Foreign Direct Investment, Information Spillover, and Export Decision : The Concentric-Circle Model with Application to Hungarian Firm-Level Data," Discussion Paper Series a527, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Juliette Milgram-Baleix, 2009. "Do Spanish firms learn from firms located nearby?," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2009/09, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.