Foreign Direct Investment, Information Spillover, and Export Decision : The Concentric-Circle Model with Application to Hungarian Firm-Level Data
AbstractIn this paper, we empirically examine the impact of foreign direct investment (FDI) on the export decision of domestic firms using large-scale panel data from Hungary. In comparison with the conventional model that expresses the export propensity of multinational enterprises (MNEs) with a single variable, the concentric-circle model, considering the nested structure of industrial classification, more precisely specifies the source, extent, and direction of information spillovers from MNEs to indigenous firms. We also confirmed the close relationship between the information spillover effect and the heterogeneity of FDI and domestic firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number a527.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
FDI; information spillover; export decision; concentric-circle model; Hungary;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- P23 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Factor and Product Markets; Industry Studies; Population
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2010-07-03 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2010-07-03 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanes-Cristóbal, José Vicente & Dovis, Marion & Milgram-Baleix, Juliette & Moro-Egido, Ana I., 2008.
"Do sunk exporting costs differ among markets? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms,"
Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 110-112, November.
- José Vicente Blanes Cristóbal & Marion Dovis & Juliette Milgram Baleix & Ana I. Moro Egido, 2007. "Do sunk exporting costs differ among markets? Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," ThE Papers 07/02, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior,"
95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frances Ruane & Julie Sutherland, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Export Spillovers: How Do Export Platforms Fare?," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp058, IIIS.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Deborah L. Swenson, 2007.
"Multinationals and the Creation of Chinese Trade Linkages,"
NBER Working Papers
13271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deborah L. Swenson, 2008. "Multinationals and the creation of Chinese trade linkages," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 596-618, May.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro & Csizmadia, Péter & Illéssy, Miklós & Makó, Csaba & Szanyi, Miklós, 2011.
"The Nested Variable Model of FDI Spillover Effects Estimation Using Hungarian Panel Data,"
Discussion Paper Series
521, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ichiro Iwasaki & Péter Csizmadia & Mikl�s Illéssy & Csaba Mak� & Mikl�s Szanyi, 2012. "The Nested Variable Model of FDI Spillover Effects: Estimation Using Hungarian Panel Data," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(4), pages 673-709, October.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996.
"Is "learning-by-exporting" important? Micro-dynamic evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
96-30, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sofronis K. Clerides & Saul Lach & James R. Tybout, 1998. "Is Learning By Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence From Colombia, Mexico, And Morocco," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 903-947, August.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "Learning-by-Exporting" Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," NBER Working Papers 5715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S Lutz & O Talavera & S M Park, 2005.
"Effects of Foreign Presence in a Transition Economy: Regional and Industry-Wide Investments and Firm-Level Exports in Ukrainian Manufacturing,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0511, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Stefan Lutz & Oleksandr Talavera & Sang-Min Park, 2008. "Effects of Foreign Presence in a Transition Economy: Regional and Industrywide Investments and Firm-Level Exports in Ukrainian Manufacturing," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(5), pages 82-98, September.
- Stefan Lutz & Oleksandr Talavera & Sang-Min Park, 2006. "Effects of Foreign Presence in a Transition Economy: Regional and Industry-Wide Investments and Firm-Level Exports in Ukrainian Manufacturing," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 594, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Fukunari Kimura & Kozo Kiyota, 2006. "Exports, FDI, and Productivity: Dynamic Evidence from Japanese Firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 695-719, December.
- Richard Kneller & Mauro Pisu, 2007. "Industrial Linkages and Export Spillovers from FDI," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 105-134, 01.
- Richard Baldwin, 1989. "Sunk-Cost Hysteresis," NBER Working Papers 2911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beata Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2006.
"To Share or Not To Share: Does Local Participation Matter for Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark
2006-001, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Javorcik, Beata Smarzynska & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2008. "To share or not to share: Does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 194-217, February.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2003. "To share or not to share : does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3118, The World Bank.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2007.
"Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 75(3), pages 837-873, 05.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001. "Market entry costs, producer heterogeneity and export dynamics," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 03-10, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001. "Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 8629, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sourafel Girma & David Greenaway & Richard Kneller, 2004. "Does Exporting Increase Productivity? A Microeconometric Analysis of Matched Firms," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 855-866, November.
- Lengyel, Balázs & Iwasaki, Ichiro & Szanyi, Miklós, 2010. "Industry Cluster and Regional Economic Growth : Evidence from Hungary," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 51(2), pages 93-112, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiromichi Miyake).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.