Is there a role for domestic demand pressure on export performance?
AbstractTraditionally, exports behavior is modeled only as a function of the foreign demand and the real exchange rate. However, it is by now widely acknowledged that these variables are not able to fully explain exports developments. This paper suggests considering domestic demand pressure as an additional variable, revisiting its economic rationale and assessing its empirical importance. In particular, we consider the Portuguese case and find that domestic demand developments are relevant for the short-run dynamics of exports. Moreover, it is found that this relationship is asymmetric, being stronger and more significant when domestic demand is falling than when it is increasing. JEL Classification: C22, C50, F10
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 1594.
Date of creation: Sep 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- JaeBin Ahn & Alexander McQuoid, 2013. "Capacity Constrained Exporters: Micro Evidence and Macro Implications," Working Papers 1301, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Filippo di Mauro & Katrin Forster, 2008.
"Globalisation and the competitiveness of the euro area,"
Occasional Paper Series
97, European Central Bank.
- Filippo Di Mauro & Katrin Forster, . "Globalisation and the competitiveness of the Euro area," Working Papers 5, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Vannoorenberghe, G., 2012. "Firm-level volatility and exports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 57-67.
- Nicolas Berman, Antoine Berthou,Jérôme Héricourt, 2011.
"Export dynamics and sales at home,"
IHEID Working Papers
14-2011, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Berman, Nicolas & Berthou, Antoine & Héricourt, Jérôme, 2011. "Export dynamics and sales at home," CEPR Discussion Papers 8684, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Berman, N. & Berthou, A. & Héricourt, J., 2012. "Export dynamics and sales at home," Working papers 408, Banque de France.
- Nicolas Berman & Antoine Berthou & Jérôme Héricourt, 2011. "Export Dynamics and Sales at Home," Working Papers 2011-33, CEPII research center.
- Paulo Soares Esteves & Sónia Cabral, 2006. "Portuguese Export Market Shares: An Analysis by Selected Geographical and Product Markets," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Banerjee, Anindya, et al, 1986. "Exploring Equilibrium Relationships in Econometrics through Static Models: Some Monte Carlo Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 253-77, August.
- Andrew Bernard & Joachim Wagner, 2001.
"Export entry and exit by German firms,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 137(1), pages 105-123, March.
- Faini, Ricardo, 1988.
"Export supply, capacity, and relative prices,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
123, The World Bank.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2004.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(2), pages 561-569, May.
- Campa, José Manuel, 2000.
"Exchange Rates and Trade: How Important is Hysteresis in Trade?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2606, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Campa, Jose Manuel, 2004. "Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Campa, Jose M., 2000. "Exchange rates and trade: How important is hysteresis in trade?," IESE Research Papers D/427, IESE Business School.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schmitz, Martin & De Clercq, Maarten & Fidora, Michael & Lauro, Bernadette & Pinheiro, Cristina, 2012. "Revisiting the effective exchange rates of the euro," Occasional Paper Series 134, European Central Bank.
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 2000.
"Distributions of Error Correction Tests for Cointegration,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0561, Econometric Society.
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 2002. "Distributions of error correction tests for cointegration," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 285-318, 06.
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 1999. "Distributions of error correction tests for cointegration," International Finance Discussion Papers 655, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Impullitti, Giammario & Irarrazabal, Alfonso A. & Opromolla, Luca David, 2013. "A theory of entry into and exit from export markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 75-90.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989.
"Entry and Exit Decisions under Uncertainty,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 620-38, June.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- Alfonso A. Irarrazabal & Luca David Opromolla, 2008. "A Theory of Entry and Exit into Exports Markets," Working Papers w200820, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Sharma, Kishor, 2003. "Factors determining India's export performance," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 435-446, June.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jerome & Mestre, Ricardo, 2005. "An area-wide model for the euro area," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 39-59, January.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Ca' Zorzi, Michele & Schnatz, Bernd, 2007. "Explaining and forecasting euro area exports: which competitiveness indicator performs best?," Working Paper Series 0833, European Central Bank.
- Blum, Bernardo S. & Claro, Sebastian & Horstmann, Ignatius J., 2013. "Occasional and perennial exporters," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 65-74.
- Renton, G A & Duffy, M, 1970. "A Model for Forecasting U.K. Exports to Primary Producers," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(3), pages 383-405, November.
- Zilberfarb, Ben-Zion, 1980. "Domestic Demand Pressure, Relative Prices and the Exports Supply Equation-More Empirical Evidence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(188), pages 443-50, November.
- Pereira, Alfredo M. & Gaspar, Vitor, 1999. "An Intertemporal Analysis of Development Policies in the EU," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 799-822, December.
- Belke, Ansgar & Oeking, Anne & Setzer, Ralph, 2014. "Exports and Capacity Constraints: A smooth transition regression model for six euro-area countries," CEPS Papers 9228, Centre for European Policy Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.