The decision to export: a panel data analysis for Spanish manufacturing
AbstractThis paper aims to empirically analyse the determinants of the decision to export using a sample of Spanish manufacturing firms during the 1990s. The data are drawn from the Encuesta sobre Estrategias Empresariales. A panel data probit model is used that is estimated using maximum-likelihood techniques. The results show that regional and local spillovers and firm characteristics such as age, size, productivity, corporation, foreign ownership, R&D and advertising intensity, have a positive and significant influence on the probability of exporting. Furthermore, public sector oriented sales have a significant and negative impact.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pakes, Ariel & Ericson, Richard, 1998.
"Empirical Implications of Alternative Models of Firm Dynamics,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 1-45, March.
- Pakes, A. & Ericson, R., 1990. "Empirical Implications Of Alternative Models Of Firm Dynamics," Papers, Yale - Economic Growth Center 594, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Ariel Pakes & Richard Ericson, 1989. "Empirical Implications of Alternative Models of Firm Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 2893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, John R. & Rafiquzzaman, Mohammed, 1995.
"Selection versus evolutionary adaptation: Learning and post-entry performance,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 501-522, December.
- Baldwin, John R. & Raffiquzzaman, Mohammed, 1995. "Selection Versus Evolutionary Adaptation: Learning and Post-entry Performance," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1994072e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989.
"The Growth and Failure of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-98, November.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Papers, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics 1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- Ana Buisan & Esther Gordo, 1994. "Funciones de importaciÃ³n y exportaciÃ³n de la economÃa espaÃ±ola," Investigaciones Economicas, FundaciÃ³n SEPI, FundaciÃ³n SEPI, vol. 18(1), pages 165-192, January.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2004.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(2), pages 561-569, May.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- Salvador Barrios & Holger GÃ¶rg & Eric Strobl, . "Explaining Firms' Export Behaviour: The Role of R&D and Spillovers," Working Papers 2001-12, FEDEA.
- Marion Dovis & Juliette Milgram-Baleix, 2009.
"Trade, Tariffs and Total Factor Productivity: The Case of Spanish Firms,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(4), pages 575-605, 04.
- Juliette Milgram & Marion Dovis, 2008. "Trade,Tariffs and Total Factor Productivity: The Case of Spanish Firms," Working Papers. Serie EC, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie) 2008-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Minondo, Asier, 2012. "Trading firms in the Spanish services sector," MPRA Paper 43224, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fryges, Helmut, 2006. "Hidden champions - how young and small technology-oriented firms can attain high export-sales ratios," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-45, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- JosÃ© Vicente Blanes CristÃ³bal & Juliette Milgram Baleix, 2009. "Costes irrecuperables de exportaciÃ³n, productividad y elecciÃ³n de mercado de exportaciÃ³n de las empresas espaÃ±olas," FEG Working Paper Series, Faculty of Economics and Business (University of Granada) 09/04, Faculty of Economics and Business (University of Granada).
- Gullstrand, Joakim, 2011. "Firm and destination-specific export costs: The case of the Swedish food sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 204-213, April.
- Libaers, Dirk & Meyer, Martin, 2011. "Highly innovative small technology firms, industrial clusters and firm internationalization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 1426-1437.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.